Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea, so does anyone think this is a bad sign. you go out to get something out of the back of your bronc, and you smell a heavy odar of gasoline. you look under your truck and see a steady drip coming of your skid plate below the gas tank. so i decide i'm gonna drop it and see where it is leaking from. so now i have the tank half way down, and i rub my hand across a the bottom, where there were a few rusty areas. Guess what happens next, the tank stops dripping and turns into a constant stream. so now i'm racing to disconect everything and get the tank out of there. oh did i mention i'm in college, and doing this in a friends driveway in the dark. we have shop lights, but they were being used to put the engine back in his cherokee. so i fuss with it and get it all the way out. then we decide, that being i still had like 12 gallons of gas in it, we were going to start pooring it into containers. now we got people holding flashlights and pooring gas into anything we can, trying to save that extra 0.45. what a night. oh well napa will have the new tank in tomarrow. there goes $130.

Anyway, anyone have anything i should keep in mind when i put the new tank in?

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Juice said:

Anyway, anyone have anything i should keep in mind when i put the new tank in?
Bolt it back up. A buddy of mine swapped his tank in his Bronco, then proceeded to drive it around the hunt camp I am a member of. He was dumbfounded when he ran out of gas a good mile from the cabin. His gas tank had fallen out a few hundred yards behind him.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Be sure to clean all the rust and gunk from the skid plate, that's what caused it in the first place. Might not hurt to paint the inside of the skid.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
I covered my skid plate and new tank a couple a coats of a good rust proofing primer and undercoating spray. I thought it might help a little with future rust probs----Fog

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
stangmata50l said:
Great story! I feel what it's like though....I lost my gas tank and it was $300.
As it was said in the Mountain Dew commercial:

" Stangmata you got hosed."

I paid 1/2 that through JC Whitney.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
get a plastic tank and a skid plate, no rust, no rocks.

i just dropped my tank today because it too was rusted and leaky. water was trapped between the skid plate and the tank (33 gal) and it just rusted out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The bottom of my tank has been wet for about a month. I have been putting off fixing it. I hit a rock on the bottom of it and dented the skid and tank in about an inch and half. I am hoping to fix it, but I bet the whole bottom is rusty. What have most people done? Gone with the plastic tank or a replacement steel? JBG's has both for about the same price I think.

Danny

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tank is in, and truck is runnin! only problem is my gauge is acting a little goofy. it seems realy sensative, like when i stop or accelerate it goeas all over hell. oh well, atleast it works

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I just started to take off my skid plate last night. I want to make a replacement before I try and get the truck inspected to get tags put on.

Anyway, is the skid plate really supposed to be the only thing that's holding up the tank?

Also, aside from what I've already found with a search, does anybody have any reccomendations as to building the new skid plate?

Thanks everyone.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts