Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol now before yall drill me I want to tell you this is on a 1968 scout 800 not a FSB so i am not talking about a suspended gas tank. That being said... I have a 68 scout that I am tube bodying (slow process) behind the front clip. (I am also cutting the front fenders out different story though:toothless ) anyways my plan is to use the good remaining sheet metal to fill in the new fenders and side of tub between my tubes. to do so i have to remove it and cut it up, strip, repaint and bolt into place. If rock rash hurts it I make a new piece from straight sheet metal... easy peezy japaneesy. However I have some good sheet metal on either rear fender that is a box style built in gas tank. one on either side. I would love to use this sheet metal for my project because it seems to be rust free and very straight. however I am not reckless enough to go grinding or plasma cutting around a gas tank for afeard I'll loose my nice toothless smile. lol any suggestions for reusing this sheet metal without blowing myself up. oh and.... I take constructive criticism quite well so feel free to question me as it may make my project turn out better.

whats the answer yall?

Brandon

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
fill the tank with water, and cut away to your heart's content.

Alternately, put a piece of vacuum cleaner hose over your tailpipe and
direct the exhaust into the tank until it's full of CO (which won't burn).
Leave the hose there and the engine running while you cut, to make sure
that there's only CO and no free O2 in there. I'd make triple sure that there's
no liquid gasoline in there either, also.

Note: I'm not a lawyer or a welder, take these suggestions with a big
bucket of common sense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts