Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 89, 302, C-6, bought the truck as a basket case, have frame off cleaned, painted or replaced most everything. Converted to carbureted, replaced original wiring harness with "painless" harness (both were completely shot, figured it would be cheaper). Is there a pick-up pump in the tank that pushes fuel to the pump on the frame rail? We have her about ready to start and the pump won't pull fuel from the tank. I saw that there were 3 wires from the sending unit when we cleaned it, wasnt sure if that small cylinder was a pump or not. Also, I noticed when putting fuel in the tank that the new fuel guage (aftermarket/Autometer) jumped past full after only a gallon. I bought one for an 89 and newer Ford, that is rated at 16 Ohms empty, 158 Ohms full. (checked it empty and got 27 Ohms, figured I ordered the right one). Any ideas or suggestions ??

Thanks in advance for any help. Mike

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
as far as the wiring goes for the pump, i'm not certain...but an injected truck does have an in-tank pump that pressurizes the whole system so the cylinder on the assembly would be the in-take pump, a carbed truck does not have such a pump. a carbed truck should just have the in-block, mechanical pump that only pumps with the engine turning and the tank should only have the pick-up, sending unit, and float.

hope that helps. good luck getting it going, let us know how it goes. :popc1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was an EFI truck, we put a pressure regulator with a return on the firewall to get the pressure down to around six pounds for the carb. So this truck has the fuel system of an EFI truck. About the sending unit. does anyone know what might be going on there ?

THX

·
Registered
710 Posts
it's already been answered. Yes, you definitely have a pump in the tank. You'll either have to modify the existing sending unit, by removing the pump and soldering on another piece of aluminum pipe, or find one from a carbureted truck. If you modify it, make sure that you get the pickup at exactly the same level/angle that it was at or you'll be running out of gas before the gauge reads empty.

also, if you choose to solder on another piece of in place of the pump, make sure you flare the ends so it'll slide over the existing pipe, and really lay the solder to it so it won't leak or come off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts