Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 87 Bronco full size Eddie Bauer. A few months back, I got rear ended.

The gas tank leaks now. As I'm a computer guy and don't have a place to do repairs anyway, any thoughts on getting it fixed?

My wife wants me to get a car, but I really don't want to. lol help!

I live in SLC Utah, so if you know a good place to get a quote from that'd be excellent.

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cost me about 125.oo for tank and shipping and $200.00 labor. You should replace the fuel pump in the tank as well, another 125.00. You have to verify the tank opening size before ordering. Either 2 inch or 3&5/16ths irrc.

·
Registered
457 Posts
JB Weld is cheap and temporary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where would you get it repaired at? Any recommendations?

JB Weld would work, if I could get to the leak...or even figure out where it is. lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Where would you get it repaired at? Any recommendations?

JB Weld would work, if I could get to the leak...or even figure out where it is. lol
JB Weld is sold at most auto parts stores or hardware stores.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not a huge leak, but I cannot see it. I believe it's at the back bottom side.

I really just want to get it replaced, but I want a good mechanic/shop and I don't know of any to get this kind of work done.

Would *love* a suggestion...

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
It's not a huge leak, but I cannot see it. I believe it's at the back bottom side.

I really just want to get it replaced, but I want a good mechanic/shop and I don't know of any to get this kind of work done.

Would *love* a suggestion...
If you can change your brakes yourself, they you can change a gas tank...only thing is sometimes it takes some creativity to get it off. That said putting the new one in is easier than taking the old one out IMO. I hear that if you get a plastic tank, it has more room to clear when you put it in due to it (plastic tank) not haveing the stamp/weld edges that the steel ones have. I put another metal one on mine and it was a walk in the park. I would recomend having a jack and a piece of wood to support the tank when you take it out though.

Good Luck

Kc

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, I can't see the leak. I doubt I'll repair it given I don't have a garage and it's freezing outside.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
I've done more repairs than Id like to admit in an apartment parking lot, granted it wasnt freezing outside. I just dropped a tank a couple weeks ago, and its not difficult at all. The 33 gal tank is held up by the skid plate, which is only about 10 bolts. Disconnect the filler and the fuel lines/wiring, and thats it. The smaller tanks I believe just have the usual straps, which should be a little quicker. Know a friend with a garage?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
hey, i ordered a replcmnt 33 gallon tank for my 88 bronco. Then got rid of the truck before i could replace it. If you want it ill sell it cheap.($50) plus shipping. As far as replacing it. It really only takes about two hours. most of which is figuring out how to drop the old one without spilling anything. (Do the swap on an almost empty tank.) There should be two straps holding it up to the last crossmember before the rear bumper. I had two bolts, one on each side. Just make sure you disconnect all the lines up top first. All you need is a flat head to get the hose clamps off. good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Guy is asking for a shop or some one who can fix it for him - he already said he either doesn't have the time or the knowledge to do it himself!

I did a Google search for "gas tank repair, Salt Lake City" and came up with this:

State Radiator Repair
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
Phone: (801) 262-4361

Spoke to Nick, and he quoted me at $195 for labor if you supply the parts (e.g. new tank and sending unit) or $85 - $95 if you bring in the tank removed.

I understand and agree that part of owning a Bronco is the unadvertised "fixer-upper" piece, but I would prolly recommend he start with replacing the spark plugs, air filter or the headlamps before he jump into replacing a fuel tank!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts