Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums, I am in need of some help and hopefully some answers.

I have an 84 Bronco II. Rebuilt engine and straight body. Its was sitting for awhile untill I got ahold of it. Made my quick tune ups and tried to pour some gasoline into the gas tank (through the filler tube). If I pour slowly its ok, but eventully gas starts coming back up. At first I thought the tank was full, but I had only poured in a 1 gallon of gas. So I run the car and it runs beautifully. Naturally it dies itself out of gas. So I pour some more in and again it gushes out (from the filler tub). I tap on the tank and its sounds hollow ( i had poured in a small amount).

I think something is obstruckting the filler tub. So I stick in some tubing and sure enough it goes all the way in without a problem. So I blow into the tub a bit and all of a sudden gasonline some rushing out as if I was syphoning gas.

What do I do? Id like to drive it to local gas station see if that makes a difference but I fear I wont make it there. Id like to get this thing registered and smogged soon.

Ahh its driving me nuts. I need help please.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
maybe u have a kinked vent line on the gas tank?

·
Registered
490 Posts
well on my full size i had the same problem with my new tank. turn out theres a black plastic tub inside the filler neck that was not secured into the tank. so i couldnt really put gas into it till i dropped the filler neck and fixed the black plastic tub. im guessing you would have the same tube in the filler neck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was going to dropp it today but its becoming late and have other things to do.

does anyone have a diagram or something of the tank so i know what to look forward for? or anything that shows all the parts of the gas tanks?

·
Banned
20,714 Posts
The rollover valve has nothing to do with filling the tank, other than keeping liquid gas out of the evaporative emissions system if you overfill. Read the caption.

On '87-up fullsize trucks, the large rubber outer hose is the vent, & the inner hard plastic tube is the fill, as shown in the diagram. On older fullsizes, the outer hose is the fill, & the inner corrugated plastic line is the vent.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
illfadedsole said:
i was going to dropp it today but its becoming late and have other things to do.

does anyone have a diagram or something of the tank so i know what to look forward for? or anything that shows all the parts of the gas tanks?
Welcome to FSB.

I'm not knockin' you but you might have better luck looking for Bronco II info on a Bronco II web site. You do realise the FS in FSB stands for full size. Just an FYI.

On a different note...I love Bronco II's. I have been wanting one forever. Get that baby runnin', do some wheelin' and post some pic's.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Steve83 said:
The rollover valve has nothing to do with filling the tank, other than keeping liquid gas out of the evaporative emissions system if you overfill. Read the caption.

On '87-up fullsize trucks, the large rubber outer hose is the vent, & the inner hard plastic tube is the fill, as shown in the diagram. On older fullsizes, the outer hose is the fill, & the inner corrugated plastic line is the vent.
yea the hard plastic hose on mine wasnt seated properly. based on the diagram its the inner hose. the one vent hose i have comming off the top of tank wasnt the issue. that just blead to the air. but thats fullsize. i dunno if the broncoII is the same. probably.

well wrong year. same principle. the little hose goes in the big hose. ;-D
http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/7378MIDSHIPFILLERHOSE.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts