Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search first. I ordered a A pilar Gauge pod to install (2) Guages. I want to make one the Water temp guage (The stock in not accurate at all) Wondering which other one to install? Oil temp or pressure? Tranny temp? Which one would be more important.? And which ones are a PITA to hook up? Thanks!
:shrug

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Oil pressure IMO. Your stock op gauge is an idiot light; it reads normal at above 4.5lbs and zero below 4.5lbs.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
I'd say tranny temp, atleast with the oil you have the "dummy light" effect, you have no idea what your tranny is doing. If it starts overheating, you won't know it until it's too late.

·
Registered
741 Posts
when I did my gauges I installed water temp, oil pressure (a must) and volts. I plan on adding a tranny temp in a couple weeks when I get time, were is the best place to mount the sensor for the tranny temp?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Here you see the plastic line going to my mech op gauge. You can build a tee (just 1/8" NPT stuff) and keep the stocker working too, or just ground the wire to the stock sender to prevent the CEL from staying lit

For water temp I built a heater hose tee:

if you go electric you'll have to ground the tee. This is not the only approach, just the one I chose.

For tranny temp there's a pressure test port on the driver's side of the E4OD. Do a search, gauges have been discussed a lot.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
94 XLT BRONCO said:
Hey Fireguy....... I never did this kind of work myself... What do I need to know to hook these up? Do I utilize the same connections as the stock gauges or what??

:lolup uh, it's a lot of work! to say the least, that dash you all see below took me 70+ hours to fab after all the hours I spent thinking about it and planning it out.
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=1501&s=8831#content
No you can just "plug in" the new gauges:

But you can reuse the wires that come to the old dash, you just need to cut off the connector and splice everything where it needs to be.

Sorry but it's impossible to explace this to great detail. I kept everything in my head so there is nothing writen down. and it was a custome 1 of a kind. to re-preduce it would be a nother 1 of a kind.

Just takes desire and dedication to get those results :thumbup

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Ryan,

I was going to ask you about this, this seems like a good forum to do it in. In the latest Bronco Driver someone (I think Bronco Graveyard) has a digital guage cluster for EB's that I was wondering what your thoughts were about adapting it to the Fullsize. It has digital speed, tach lights (no numbers, but I plan on getting a good tach anyways) oil pressure, volts and water temperature I think. I was thinking about adapting that in my current dash guage cluster and using the extra space on the sides for other guages (oil temprature, tranny temp, etc.)

Have you seen this, what are your thoughts?

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts

They include the instructions and most of the parts needed to install them.

Fireguy have u taken pics of the thing you did to get your speedo hooked up(thats one that doesnt hook right up)

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
Fireguy have u taken pics of the thing you did to get your speedo hooked up(thats one that doesnt hook right up)
I'm working on it :banghead It's a lot fo work to open up that dash just for wome pictures. I'll get it today I hope

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
SMOOTH said:
Ryan,

I was going to ask you about this, this seems like a good forum to do it in. In the latest Bronco Driver someone (I think Bronco Graveyard) has a digital guage cluster for EB's that I was wondering what your thoughts were about adapting it to the Fullsize. It has digital speed, tach lights (no numbers, but I plan on getting a good tach anyways) oil pressure, volts and water temperature I think. I was thinking about adapting that in my current dash guage cluster and using the extra space on the sides for other guages (oil temprature, tranny temp, etc.)

Have you seen this, what are your thoughts?
Those are really just for Early Broncos. If you want a dig panel get one of these Nordskog Universal Digital Gauge Panels.

Summit has 2 sizes $340-$380

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fireguy50 said:
:lolup uh, it's a lot of work! to say the least, that dash you all see below took me 70+ hours to fab after all the hours I spent thinking about it and planning it out.

But you can reuse the wires that come to the old dash, you just need to cut off the connector and splice everything where it needs to be.

Sorry but it's impossible to explace this to great detail. I kept everything in my head so there is nothing writen down. and it was a custome 1 of a kind. to re-preduce it would be a nother 1 of a kind.

Just takes desire and dedication to get those results :thumbup
I just want to hook up the Oil Pres and Water Temp on the new auto meter pod gauges.... Not the whole dash swap like u did!
You did a great job though!!! :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Well yeah, you can find the:
Red / White (temp gauge)
White / Red (Oil PSI gauge)
wires under the dash and cut them from the original gauges and sue those wires for the new gauge. Make sure you change the senders

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, I want to start this job tonight. I acyually read the instructions with the gauges ?!?! ok, there is a note that in later models I may need to install T fittings for the gauges instead of direct conect. Because critical functions may be disrupted if the stock senders use electrinic pressure senders for engine control.
I have a '94, should I be installing tee's for sure and keeping stock gauges working also? Im installing a oil pressure and water temp gauge (electrical)
Sorry if this sounds dumb, just lacking the electrical experiance and trying to learn. :D
Any more help appreciated :thumbup

1 - 20 of 29 Posts