Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did a Quick search and came up dry(might have missed it). So now i will ask.
Can a Gear Drive Timing Set be used instead of the Chain drive on a 86 302 EFI?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Yeah, it can. Are you just looking for the sound? If not, why not just use stock replacements?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Gear drives are extremely noisy, expensive, and don't last very long. The upside is that they're extremely accurate, and initially more sturdy than a chain.

Unless your bronco is driven a quarter mile at a time it's not worth it.

Get a double roller timing chain and gear set, and you'll be happy.

(206k miles on my stock, original chain so far..... I know... I'll change it soon!)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do have the Quiet one and it not as noisy.

In my F150 i broke about as many as Fireguy and just ket replacing them.
I do not want the same problem.
Buy i mught just check it out.
The Double roller is a good idea as well
170,000 miles and the original chain as far as i can see. i think it is time to change as it is a little noisy.

Anyone actualy installed one in a Bronco?
I have a friend with one in a 350 Camaro and he swears by it but that does not count as he 1/4 mile races.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:beer
Oh ya and thanks for the input guys. i might just play test dummy, and install this (lots of pics of course) but that will be in January.
but please still let me know what you think.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
I installed the Edelbrock in my 351W Bronco. It was very noisy and required a different eccentric cam (for mechanical fuel pump only). It was very noisy and since it was a daily driver I swapped to a double roller. The gear drive is now sitting around in case I start a buggy project.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
A gear drive is a bad idea for a regularly driven vehicle. Every little vibration/harmonic is transfered throughout the valves, rockers, pushrods and cam via the gears causing them to wear out prematurely. A chain can't tranfer these vibrations from the crank gear to the cam gear. A lot of die hard racers use heavy duty timing belts (yes Belts) because they transmit even less than the chains.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I've got an Edelbrock Double roller now. this was a cleyotes couble roller:

However I don't think the crank / block failure was the chains fault :lolup :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
I've got an Edelbrock Double roller now. this was a cleyotes couble roller:

However I don't think the crank / block failure was the chains fault :lolup :D
I had the exact same failure on my 351W with a Cloyes double roller! I was driving home from work one day, and when I stepped on the gas to pass a car the tranny downshifted and the motor instantly let go. :histerica

IMO, the gear drives cause more damage over the life of a motor due to the vibrations and they have more drag which can cause early failure of your cam gear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have one in my 514/Bronco. Been my offroad/daily driver and it's been ok (for now) -though you guys have me thinking. I have the noisy Pete Jackson gears. Love the sound.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Deadman thanks

I will be trying both after all.
This engine is about dead and i will be rebuilding one very soon, so i think i will try the Gear drive in it and see how it goes. If the engine blows well hope my new one is finished in time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gear drives are extremely noisy, expensive, and don't last very long. The upside is that they're extremely accurate, and initially more sturdy than a chain.
gear drives do not have to be noisy, if the gears are lapped they will be quiet
gear drives will outlast any chain
most diesel engines use gear driven cams

1 - 17 of 17 Posts