Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know about gear drives & knock sensors in a 92 FI 302. ive heard that theres no problem, then ive heard you shouldnt be runnin gear drives.
if its an issue can you simply disconnect the sensor wire to avoid problems, i mean what does this thing do anyway. if you know your timings right & your fule octane is set, then how should you get knocking anyway. i run LPG (propane) too so that should make it better shouldnt it with a higher octane content

REMEMBER....TO GET THAT BOLT REALLY TIGHT.......STRIP IT.......THEN BACK IT OFF 2 TURNS

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
The EEC is always testing the timing limits, and you should use the knock sensor when available.

Why do you want timing gears? FMS has a double roller set for like 60 bucks from Summit, and the cheapest (but good) gear drive set is over 200 dollars.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but im in australia & a chain is as much as a gear set down here, ive got mine stripped down & one side of the chain hits the housing its that stretched. is this chain stretch a common problem ? im fitting a 94 302 to my 86 Bronco, both engines are FI, both chains are really stretched.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Chains stretch a little bit no matter what, but THAT much stretch... from what it seems like, you're talking about much more then 1/2" of deflection, shouldn't happen.

Even my stock chain after 190,000 miles only had around a 1/4" of deflection.

Where are you getting your parts from?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oooooh, yeeeeaaaaaah, thats how much mine was stretched,,,,but no longer an issue ive just fitted gear drives.
cheers from down under

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Well, like Steve mentioned, you should be figuring out what caused the chain to stretch so bad.

Gear drives can wear too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Stop turning him the wrong way. Hte gear drive is not a bad deal. I have one in my rig. The difference between the aftermarket one and the factory one (ONLY IN THE 4.9) was the factory used a phenolic gear that was helical cut to keep the noise wayyyyyyy down. You can hear the aftermarket ones wine a bit, but there is not a ton of it even with the all steel gears. What knock sensor are you speaking of? Got a pic of it? I have never seen one on a pushrod engine Ford. Maybe they are different south of the Equator but I dunno.

The gear drive will drive you batty with the wine. In fact, I would sell you mine for a few bucks if you wanted to pay the shipping. You will love the way that you can set the timing at any rpm. The mark will move very little as you rev up the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Stop turning him the wrong way. Hte gear drive is not a bad deal. I have one in my rig. The difference between the aftermarket one and the factory one (ONLY IN THE 4.9) was the factory used a phenolic gear that was helical cut to keep the noise wayyyyyyy down. You can hear the aftermarket ones wine a bit, but there is not a ton of it even with the all steel gears. What knock sensor are you speaking of? Got a pic of it? I have never seen one on a pushrod engine Ford. Maybe they are different south of the Equator but I dunno.

The gear drive will drive you batty with the wine. In fact, I would sell you mine for a few bucks if you wanted to pay the shipping. You will love the way that you can set the timing at any rpm. The mark will move very little as you rev up the engine.

Chris
Huh? How are we turning him the wrong way? Chain sets are a lot cheaper then the double idler gear sets, and are good enough for our applications.

All truck 5.0l engines had a knock sensor. Mustang and truck 4.9/5.8/7.5 engines did not.

Either way, he needs to figure out why his stock chain was so badly stretched. Whatever is causing the extra drag will certainly wear out a gear timing set faster then it should.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my manual shows a knock sensor on the manifold on the opposite side of the injection throttle body, the manual shos it as a little thing but it seems pretty large, about a size 17 spanner head, there is 2 sensors actually next to each other so im guessing one is the knock sensor.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts