Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been looking to get some prices together on a set of gears for my truck. But I've got a couple questions?

I've got my stock axles, 8.8, D44 TTB. I've got 36" tires right now, but in about 2-3 years I plan on doing a SAS and running 38" and higher. I am pretty positive I am going to do a D60 and either 10.25 or D60 in the rear.

My first question is, will any 4:88 setup's swap over to these axles, if not how many of you think it would be stupid to get gears. I was reading one of the threads earlier about guys running the stock 3:55's on 35's with 302/351.
And being the fact I wont be doing a sas for about 2-3 years, unless I get a set for free, I dont want to beat the shit to my tranny / temps with the low gears, so I thought well if I can swap them over I'll do it.

My last question is, if I cannot swap them over and you guys think I should get a set, for these stock axles. I have 36s, its a DD, 70% Roads, 30% offroad. I am usually in mud, trails, and thats roughly it, but I will try anything. So, being that said should I get some 4:56s?
But if it will swap over, and even not, should I grab up some 4:88?

Oh yea, also I am wanting to do something with the rear end, but I am still reading up and reading some other threads on rear lockers. And I'm not sure what to go with, a full locker? Or some sort of LS? I was kind of thinking a full locker. Same thing with that, will any of the lockers for a 8.8 swap over to a D60, or 10.25. Or any other rear axle.

I appreciate it once again, you guys are awsome!

Oh, how does this setup look to you guys? http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT291595.aspx
Does the D44 reverse mean its for my TTB?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Gear sets are specific to the axle, so if you get a set of 4.88 for an 8.8, you will not be able to use them in the 10.25, and so on.

Yes, if you are planning to run your current combo for a while, it's worth it to regear. You can always sell your used gears when you do the 1-ton upgrade. Used gears get a surprisingly good amount of money on ebay.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks Peteyg I didnt think about selling them. Do you think 4:88s would be to steep for the 36s? Or should I go with a 4:56?

What are some good brands? All I can think of is Genuine Gear and I think Bear Gears?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will probably do the gears at work myself.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I will probably do the gears at work myself.
Ummmmm....You didn't know that gears are axle specific and your going to do the install yourself? :doh0715:

There's no big mystery behind setting up gears. Every body that knows how had to do their 1st set at some point. Remember, you are dealing with measurements in the thousandths of an inch. If you don't have someone with experience helping you, you might want to rethink installing them yourself.

Paying a good shop 600-800 bucks is better then buying the parts twice, paying for the tow to the shop and then having to pay the shop anyway.

My .02

-Scott

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I knew that most of them were specific, but I wasnt sure if by chance you could do a little modding and make it work right, or if their were any that would actully swap.

So now, should I go with 4:88s, or 4:56

I am gonna buy a set for front and rear. Although I HIGHLY doubt it, the biggest tire I would run on my stock axles is 37. But I highllllllly doubt it because I consider 36" biggest I can go without breakage in the mud pits.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With 36's and ass-suming you have an E4OD then I'd say 4.88's. That is as low as you want to go with a Dana 44 anyway. Don't forget that you'll need a new carrier for the 44 as well.

-Scott
Thanks Scott, appreciate it. On that link I posted with the topic, does that look good?

Where can I get carriers, what am I needing? :doh0715:

Thanks again

-Joey

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I ran 4.56's and 36" TSL's with my E40D for years and liked it, but you'll be fine with 4.88's too. The two ratios are very close, so it won't make a huge difference either way. Since you can envision at least four differential builds in your future I would recommend that you just nut up and teach yourself how to do it. It'll be frustrating at first, but well worth it in the long run. One things for sure- knowing how to do gear work will make you all kinds of new friends. Ask me how I know.:doh0715:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Dave how you doing, will you help me install my gears. Hahahahah J/k.

I appreciate it, on the websites, does Reverse 44 mean our TTB?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does Randys, sell kits, or is there somewhere else I go to look up parts, packages, ect ect? I cant seem to see anywhere to find a selection?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks 1clean.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
How about this, I think when I order I have to specify what ratio. I am assuming..........that the instalation kit has EVERYTHING I need to do this in my "front yard" except for tools and oil.

He ask's to mention if its 28 or 31 spline. Is mine 31?

Does this look like a deal? 500$

http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-1595_87-96_bronco_f150_dana_44_ttb_ifs__ford_88_gear__inst_kit_package.html
you have a 31 spline

to answer your deal question yes

just calculate it out

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, how about his installation kits. This gives me everything I need to .. in a sence, rebuild my axles except for tools and lube.
??

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
yup comes with everything marking compound, shims, bearings. Mikes a good guy he really stands by his stuff and your able to call and talk to him his customer service rocks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts