Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a '94 Bronco and my son and I have been going through the routine stuff a little at a time. I go over it with him and let him do most of it since it's tough for me to get down and under anything due to some problems with my back. I got gear oil for the diffs, and we went over it, but he opened the transfer case check plug and got a squirt in it before I could see and tell him to stop. Should I now drain the tranny again or will that much be a big problem? I hate to do the tranny over as we just had that flushed and a fliter put in for us, but if it has to be done, it has to be done. Anyone know what kind of problem this might be?

Regards

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Jt8786 said:
In the transfer case or tranny? Auto or manual?
I believe he means an Auto, since he did mention a Filter....

Your transfer case should only take about two quarts of ATF, not GEAR OIL.

If you drain your Trans Case and it has more then two or three quarts, the seal between the Tranny and the Trans case is bad.

Good Luck,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, it's a '94 automatic, and it's the transfer case

hope that's enough. sorry I forgot it in the first place. I've been looking through the Haynes book but it's not so hot on "now that you've screwed up". I also don't find where it's talking about automatic fluid in the transfer case anyway so, I'll keep digging.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
The transfer case and transmission *should* be separate. If you got gear oil in the transfer case, the transmission shouldn't have been affected. Drain the transfer case, flush it with ATF, put the drain plug back in, and fill it with new ATF (lots of guys run synthetic, there's only 2 quarts capacity there).

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
The transfer case and tranny are two different animals and the fluids are independant of each other. Two quarts of ATF will have ya runnin right.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Mixxing disimaller (sp) oils can cause them to gum up and become goo like. I found this out the hard way on an old 2 stroke once. As long as you can get it all flushed out you'll be fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The transfer case and tranny are two different animals and the fluids are independant of each other. Two quarts of ATF will have ya runnin right.

Adrianspeeder
Not sure about you guys, but the NP203 in my 84 just got a rebuild, and it took 4 quarts of ATF to bring it up (to where my finger could just reach the level) to spec. There is a line with an arrow right on my TC that says 'oil level' and that line is right at the bottom of the fill hole. HTH!

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Personaly, if it was gear oil, I would drain the current fluid, fill with cheapo ATF, run it for 100 miles or so and then drain and refill again with good ATF.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Personaly, if it was gear oil, I would drain the current fluid, fill with cheapo ATF, run it for 100 miles or so and then drain and refill again with good ATF.
I suggest doing this and when you fill it back up, use synthetic ATF. The t-case generate a lot of heat and cooling for them is at a minimum. The synthetic ATF holds up better to higher temps.

·
Registered
825 Posts
DONT PUT GEAR OIL IN THERE. take it from me and my dead 302 with a horrible twisted carnage of a transfer case.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Not sure about you guys, but the NP203 in my 84 just got a rebuild, and it took 4 quarts of ATF to bring it up (to where my finger could just reach the level) to spec. There is a line with an arrow right on my TC that says 'oil level' and that line is right at the bottom of the fill hole. HTH!

Yeah, our newer BW1356's take about two quarts of ATF.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
I suggest doing this and when you fill it back up, use synthetic ATF. The t-case generate a lot of heat and cooling for them is at a minimum. The synthetic ATF holds up better to higher temps.
And with it only being 2 qts you can afford to fill the T-case with syn. Don't try it with the transmission though, unless you have some deep pockets.:music0715

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
and it's aces for cold weather shifting too

I'm one cheap [email protected]$turd and even I run synthetic in my transfer case. makes a huge difference IMO and somehow stays cleaner too.

Sixlitre

1 - 19 of 19 Posts