Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a sag power steering soon and my current fluid in my ps pump is dark brown, borderline black. I have Royal Purple to go in the new pump but want to try to get the nasty crap out of the gearbox before I put good fluid in. Is their anyway to flush it?

I found 1 thread but it was from 06 and didnt have alot of info...

·
Registered
158 Posts
About the only thing I can think of would be to change the fluid and install an in-line filter. Run that for a few miles then replace the filter and fluid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still not sure what the other line coming off the saginaw pump is for, it just has a nipple, if my thinking is correct and that is the return line, I could put a filter inline in that hose.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Stick your garden hose onto the hose and flush it out that way :thumbup

Find a way to pump the new fluid thru it until you get new, fresh clean stuff coming out.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was thinking about putting one of those nipple tips like on gear oil bottles on a bottle of mercon. Then put a catch pan under it and push the best part of a qt through it. I dont see why this wouldnt work.

I had another idea that was based off of the principle a gravity bong works under, but , then I got all blowed out and it slipped my mind.:rockon:haha:doh0715:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Get a suitable container, I used my oil change drain pan and about 2 quarts of PS fluid. I ran the engine with the return line unhooked from the pump running into the drain pan. I added fluid and had my daughter turn the steering wheel lock to lock (slowly). Mine cleared up pretty well after a little more than a quart.
regards
rikard

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get a suitable container, I used my oil change drain pan and about 2 quarts of PS fluid. I ran the engine with the return line unhooked from the pump running into the drain pan. I added fluid and had my daughter turn the steering wheel lock to lock (slowly). Mine cleared up pretty well after a little more than a quart.
regards
rikard
I like this idea the best, did it spray everywhere or just flow out? I could use my oil pan but if a milk just would work better I could try that too. How fast did it go down when she was turning the wheels?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I attached a longer hose to the return line and aimed it into my oil drain pan. The pump reservoir empties out within seconds of turning on the engine without turning the wheels.

If you plan on turing the wheels lock to lock while it is flushing, you better have a couple of quarts ready to pour in to keep from damaging the pump.

When you get ready to disconnect the return hose you will need some sort of stopper(I used a vacuum cap) to plug the nipple on the pump. Otherwise any fresh fluid you put in is going straight out on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
yo,
The long version by F..D
Cleaning, Inspection & Flushing in a 96
Source: by Ford
Steering Gear
Cleaning

CAUTION: Do not clean, wash or soak steering gear input shaft seal kit (3E502) in cleaning solvent.

NOTE: Disassembly and assembly of the steering gear (3504) and the subassemblies must be made on a clean workbench. The bench, tools, and parts must be kept clean at all times.

Thoroughly clean the exterior of the unit with a suitable solvent.

When necessary, drain as much of the hydraulic fluid (or gear grease) as possible.

Handle all parts very carefully to avoid nicks, burrs, scratches and dirt, which could make the parts unfit for use.

Inspection

check steering gear input shaft seal kit for damage. Replace if necessary.

Inspect the valve housing for scoring or burrs.

Inspect the tube seats in the housing pressure port and return port for nicks, etc. If necessary, replace tube seats.

Check all fluid passages for obstruction or leakage.

Inspect the steering gear housing for cracks, stripped threads, and mating surfaces for burrs. Inspect the piston bore of the housing for scoring. Check roller bearings for damage. If necessary, replace the housing.

Check the steering gear input shaft seal kit after installation to be sure that it rotates without binding or roughness.

Check the piston rack teeth and sector shaft teeth for nicks and burrs.

Flushing

Flushing the steering gear is required when installing a repairedpower steering pump (3A674).

Remove the power steering pump pulley, and then remove the pump. Refer to Section 11-02A or Section 11-02C.

Install the power steering pump and connect only the power steering pressure hose (3A719) to the power steering pump. Install the pulley on the repaired pump.

Place the power steering return hose (3A713) from the steering gear in a suitable container and plug the tube on the power steering oil reservoir (3A697).

Fill the C-II pump power steering oil reservoir with Motorcraft Ford Type "F" ATF XT-1-QF or -DF or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESW-M2C33-F.

On ZF pump-equipped vehicles only, fill the power steering oil reservoir with Motorcraft MERCON® ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.

Disconnect the ignition control module (ICM) (12K072) to prevent the engine (6007) from starting. Raise the front wheels off the ground.

CAUTION: Do not hold steering wheel (3600) in the far left or right position, or damage to power steering pump may result.

NOTE: Be careful to avoid excessive cranking as the battery will be drained and the starter motor (11001) damaged.

While approximately 1.9 liters (2 quarts) of power steering fluid are being poured into the power steering oil reservoir , crank the engine using the ignition key. At the same time, cycle the steering wheel from stop to stop.

As soon as all of the fluid has been poured in, turn off the ignition key and attach the ICM.

NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

To clear fault codes, disconnect battery for one minute and then reconnect battery.

Remove the plug from the tube on the power steering oil reservoir and attach the power steering return hose to the power steering oil reservoir.

Check the reservoir fluid level. If low, add fluid to the proper level. Do not overfill.

Lower the vehicle.

CAUTION: Do not hold steering wheel in the far left or right position, or damage to power steering pump may result.

Start the engine and cycle the steering from stop to stop to expel any trapped air from the system

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to put that in laymans terms,

1. put the front end on jackstands
2. replace the powersteering pump
3. connect the high pressure line to the gearbox
4. connect the return line from the gearbox but not to the pump
5. turn the ignition on and turn the wheels, but not to full lock either side while adding fluid
6. turn ignition off, connect return line to pump
7. start truck, turn wheels with cap off pump to expel extra air from system

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
So to put that in laymans terms,
yes
btw, I have trouble staying on-line due to my ISP's shortcomings; so I open my WORD Files and C&P the info.
If I ty to edit, then I often end-up Over writing some info or some URL's for pics, sources, etc. because of the Lag.

If you desire, I can send you the Ford info and you can post it here.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I upload it from my email, I dont have MS word or anything like that?

If it will still work PM me and I'll give you my email address.

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
Can I upload it from my email, I dont have MS word or anything like that?

If it will still work PM me and I'll give you my email address.
yo,
If my CC e mail would work...lol
I found out why Comcast Internet is so slow here; a CC tech told me that other CC techs who live in this rural, lake bound woods also have VERY slow dnld and connection speeds..all due to "a single cable" coming into the area that is about 10 miles by 8 miles.. not counting other areas here.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I too live in the woods a few miles out of town and had Comcast before. They had a fire out here a few years back and it damages some of the lines and they didnt want to replace them and the connection sucked when the sun was out. After the 16th service call I cancelled them to go with the slower DSL thru Century Link(sprint). No problems since, I dont pull host as often on Xbox but my connection doesnt drop out either.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
Put your truck on jackstands in the front, remove both front tires. Disconnect your P/S return line from your pump (be read to catch the fluid that will run out the return nipple, it will be all the fluid in the pump.) and route it to feed into an appropriate waste container. Place a vacuum cap of the appropriate size onto your P/S pump return nipple and refill the pump with the desired fluid. Crank the engine and begin turning the steering wheel from left to right as far as it will go. Be sure that you do not let the pump run low on fluid (its best to do this part yourself and have a buddy to turn the wheel). Once you are satisfied that clean clear fluid is coming out of the return line shut off the motor. Drain the fluid from the pump and save it if desired (this should be all new uncontaminated fluid so I would use it to fill your sag pump) then remove your P/S pump and replace with the Sag pump. Connect the return line and new feed line and fill with fluid. Crank the engine again and turn the wheel from lock to lock until the entire system is free from air. Having your tires off will let the steering system turn as much as possible (I for one know that my tires rub and limit my steering). If you already have your Sag pump, bracket, and hose then this entire process can be done in just a couple hours with two people working on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well the way I flushed mine was procrastinating about replacing the upper seal on the gearbox and letting it piss everything out and keep topping it up. Now my fluid's red as blood, so to speak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts