Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 bronco, 302, stock axles, 6 inch lift/3 inch body, 37x13.5x15 tires, trans elec. od

2 questions

1 what would the difference be between regearing the axles or the t case. if i do axles probably about 4.88. pros/cons/suggestions.

2 i used seafoam in the oil, gas and intake. this was a while ago so gas has burned off and oil changed twice. after i used it immediately i had a idle issue. idle goes up down up down and sometimes stalls. any ideas.

thanks

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You don't change the gears in your transfer case, you do it at the axle. Definitely go with 4.88's. IMO 5.13's leave the d44 with a less then desirable pinion... not that you're already a little over their capabilities with 37's anyway.

Have you pulled codes? Checked/cleaned your IAC?

·
Registered
382 Posts
+1 for the differential gearing--not so much on the T-case (unless you want to go aftermarket:toothless)

Definitely go with 4.88's. IMO 5.13's leave the d44 with a less then desirable pinion... not that you're already a little over their capabilities with 37's anyway.
Back to the gearing question--with a little history of my knowledge progression first. When I was looking at putting gears in Buford I wanted to go 4.30 but settled on 4.10s because I thought 4.56 was too much for my DD. The problem was that no one made 4.30s for the D44--but Yukon makes them for the D50. I find out later on-when researching the D50 stub-shaft that the D50 carrier will work with the D44 housing.

In you opinion, does the D50 offer enough strength to go 5.13s?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,860 Posts
with a 302 and that size tire go 5.13. 302's work best in the higher rpm range anyway and with OD tranny it should be decent on the hwy.

I run 4.88's with 35's and e4od, 65 mph is 2200 rpms

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
+1 for the differential gearing--not so much on the T-case (unless you want to go aftermarket:toothless)

Back to the gearing question--with a little history of my knowledge progression first. When I was looking at putting gears in Buford I wanted to go 4.30 but settled on 4.10s because I thought 4.56 was too much for my DD. The problem was that no one made 4.30s for the D44--but Yukon makes them for the D50. I find out later on-when researching the D50 stub-shaft that the D50 carrier will work with the D44 housing.

I dunno... haven't seen a d50 set of 5.13's gears in front of me yet, nor have I read enough about a set to give you a worthwhile opinion on it.

I haven't heard of any 5.13 D50 failures yet, so I guess that counts for something. :toothless

·
Registered
337 Posts
you always want to regear axles before the tcase, what you are doing by regearing is icreasing the output torque, (of course at a lower speed) if you do the T-case you are increasing torque further up your driveline... thus putting more force on more parts ... (aka you have more parts that could break) such as you driveshaft and its Ujoints ... regear the diff, you only need to worry about your axle shafts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I dunno... haven't seen a d50 set of 5.13's gears in front of me yet, nor have I read enough about a set to give you a worthwhile opinion on it.

I haven't heard of any 5.13 D50 failures yet, so I guess that counts for something. :toothless
are you sure that the carrier can be swapped in? ... I thought you had to bolt up the whole D50 third member to the TTB... I could be wrong

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

can anyone elaborate on the d50 option?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The D50 came in F-250s w/TTB. It uses a bigger ring gear and pinion, kind of like comparing a 7.5" to the 8.8" rearends. The D50 third member is supposed to bolt up to the D44 housing. I guess the strength of the D44 itself isn't really an issue (most of the time)--it's usually the u-joints that give out. This is the reason the D50 stub shaft upgrade is popular. When Bronco4life raised the strength issue when going as steep as 5.13 I thought I would ask about the D50.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I thought that the 5.13 strength issue was with the 8.8 not the d44. Regardless, if you need 5.13's you probability should be looking into some wontons. 4.88 should be fine for 37's though.

...oh yeah, zuki's can be regeared by changing T-case gears which lowers 2hi, 4hi & 4lo, but not Fords.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts