Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on getting 38 inch tires and an 8 inch lift. i have a 302 in right now but may be switching it with a 351w. my truck is deffently going to get muddy so what kinda gears do i need for max preformance???

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yah, some searching will do you good in this forum. Search, and if you don't find your answer there, than post up a thread!!! You'll get a lot of crap on here if you don't make use of the search.

This is the first thing I seen when I searched

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=355

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
4.56 minimum, 4.88's if you're gonna stick with the 302 for a while. You don't want to gear it so low that it'll redline before you get up enough wheel speed and momentium to be effective in the mud.

Oh wait.. i forgot people on here don't like to repeat themselves. I appologize for not automatically screaming "SEARCH NEWBIE!!!!!" :wacko

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a 302 AOD in my 89 when I got it... I then put 4.56s and 35s on it and it was GUTLESS still.... If you are planning on going to 38s, I would say that 4.88s ( is that not the lowest gears you can slam in stock diffs?) and expect to need the power of a 351W to spin them up in the mud...

If you plan on leaving the AOD ( if thats what you have ) behind the 351W and 38" tires behind it , expect it to blow up too. And if you plan on running 38s on 1/2 ton diffs carry spare axles....

Bob

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.