Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an all over post and might get moved but I'm just after yalls opinions!

My 94 XLT 5.8L project is aimed straight at camping, I want to drive and get to where I'm going in the same vehicle so keep that in mind.

So howdy! It's probably been awhile since I've posted but I'm back with another question. I want to build a capable camping rig without sacrificing too much on anything (that being fuel economy, grunt, and offroadability).

I'm leaning towards:

4.10 gears over 4.56 to keep the RPMs in check on the highway [on 35"s] (I figure this gives grunt over the stock 3.55s without too much spin?)
possibly a 6R80 swap but I haven't done enough research yet (this is a future notion so I can daily this beast again one day!) but I'm open to E4OD gear changes???

and here's the fun part, engine!

If I said all I wanted was a square motor (ie; 1hp/ci so 351hp with aluminum heads) what do yall suggest? I've seen good things with AFR heads and eddy intakes (I'm in WA so SMOG isn't an issue :cool:) [build my engine with stockish (MAF conversion) EFI in mind??]

Backstory:

It has JBA shorty headers, full SMOG delete, MAF conversion, full MSD ignition, 24lb/hr injectors, ported upper and lower intake manifolds, and K&N cold air intake.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
239 Posts
4.10 gears are a great choice. Engine wise i feel like you wont be needing much work at all to get to 351hp a good cam and some 500$ a piece heads will get you over that number. As for the transmission i only know about E4od and i feel its a good trans to use in the offroad as it has the BW 1356 transfercase. You would probably need to add a dedicated cooler to the trans though.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,559 Posts
Agree on 4.10s, especially with a 6R80. Add a detroit truetrac to the rear diff while you are at it.

AFR 185 heads and a cam similar to the comp 35-512-8 (or 35-514-8) would get you to 350 HP and 400 ft lbs pretty easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts