Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what gears to run, looking for suggestions.

I have a 95 with the 351w, E40D, and 6" lift. I have a tru-trac locker in the rear, and I am planning on doing the same in the front. I am about to put on 37" Mickey Thompson MTZ. Was thinking 4.56, is this good or should I think about alternatives. I still want to get the best mileage I can, but have no problem with my weekend wheeling. Besides the throttle body spacer, what will be some other good routes to increase gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
good luck increasing any mileage by adding gears and 37's. The throttle body spacer will help with throttle response, but I wouldnt count on any dramatic increase of mpg.

On another note, what unit you with?

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
What size tires and gears do you have now. Lower gears can improve fuel economy. It depends on the overall drive ratio including tires, rear gearing and transmission. Too big of a tire and too small of gear will not improve economy but actually hurt fuel mileage.

A good flowing exhaust system and a proper tune up should also improve mpg.

tim

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
615 Posts
I am trying to decide what gears to run, looking for suggestions.

I have a 95 with the 351w, E40D, and 6" lift. I have a tru-trac locker in the rear, and I am planning on doing the same in the front. I am about to put on 37" Mickey Thompson MTZ. Was thinking 4.56, is this good or should I think about alternatives. I still want to get the best mileage I can, but have no problem with my weekend wheeling. Besides the throttle body spacer, what will be some other good routes to increase gas mileage.
Good "rule of thumb" calculation is to mutiply .12 by your tire diameter. (.12 X 38" = 4.56)...this will keep you fairly close to stock performance but it will not be stock and your mileage will always suffer when you add weight to your truck....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now I have stock gears pushing the stock 32" tires. I grew up in the country, but I didn't have the father figure to teach me mechanics, so I am a little behind the power curve. My recent "friend/mechanic" that has helped me along a bit, blew the $5k I gave him for parts and left my truck sitting on jackstands for 9 months. Now I am in a messy legal battle in which the best outcome for me is that the state attorney prosecute him as a criminal, so I don't have to try to recover the judgement on my own. Talk about a learning experience there. So now I am back to square one, while I am waiting on getting my money back, and some, I have to start over again and order all the parts. Hopefully you all are a but more knowledgeable, and I don't have to worry about being royally scammed, haha.

Planning on the exhaust in the very near future, but I have a few ideas floating around that I am planning on making happen at the same time.

I started my time out at Miramar at the wing, man was staying in the wing for 7 years a bad opp. PCS to Eglin AFB in Florida for EOD, and that is where I ended my Marine Corps road with just over 8 years in. I just got out today, and I am currently moving into one of those so coveted $250K tax free job opportunities back overseas. Marine Corps was a good time, but retirement is where it is at, and the opportunities for a better one are on the outside right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well belay my last then, it has been a while, after 9 months of it sitting in a shop on jack stands, i have forgotten the finer details.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry for the hyjack, but where do you buy gears and how do you change them? I searched the tech write up section, then the whole site. And with all the stuff in the tech write up, and how popular swapping gears seems to be, i couldnt find a thread for it. So did i miss it or what?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,204 Posts
What was the stock tire height in inches ?
29s seem to be common, but 31s are listed as optional on some years.

Sorry for the hyjack, but where do you buy gears and how do you change them? I searched the tech write up section, then the whole site. And with all the stuff in the tech write up, and how popular swapping gears seems to be, i couldnt find a thread for it. So did i miss it or what?
There may be other useful info in here too, but links 19 & 26 have gear swap info. Check out the drain plug in 22 as well:
Axles, Lockers, Differentials
1-All About Lockers peteyg
2-What's the DIFF??? Steve83
3-Rear Axle Guide SquattyD
4-Front 3rd member and Dana 50 stub shaft install...(56k warning) Andy351
5-D50 inner upgrade wileec
6-Cheapest place on 8.8 install kit with Timkens?? OX1
7-Maybe Repost. JBG, TTB dana 44 upgraded outer axle. stomp13
8-Eaton E-Locker tear down & repair (56k go away) Dave's Bronc 90
9-tired of searching 10.25 question BoulderBronco
10-dana 44 carrier -Bearing & race numbers.
11-trac lok rebuild info needed where is it at? -Tony R gives pics & instructions in post 7.
12-How to swap Dana 44 4.56 TTB Gears to SAS D44?
13-STERLING 10.25 SEAL PART NUMBER CHANGE Damager
14-Welding 8.8... opinions wanted hossman777
15-? about the d50 spring trick.. ToughXLT
16-9" Diff Better Than Dana 70/60/44/28? 78Project
17-Aussie Locker Experiences and Possible Problem Tommy R
18-new tube seals dana 44 DcSkater602
19-My Gear and Locker Install(pics) Tommy R
20-identifying axles!!! -jermil01 gives links to id axles in post 6.
21-VOTE For Oct. '06 FOTM Dave's Bronc 90 gives pics & info for the D50 stub shaft swap in post 183.
22-Drain plug install on TTB front axle Sixlitre
23-Dana 70 or Dana 60 Id lightnin -With info/pics from Larston, Shadofax & Steve83.
24-Tone ring replacment procedure Dave's Bronc 90 gives the procedure in post 4, Steve83's version is in post 7.
25-8.8 Yoke Flange Change to Flat Flange reptillikus gives instructions in post 2.
26- First time I'm exploring the depths of a COMPLETE 8.8 build (56k unfriendly) sackman9975 -8.8 rebuild with lots of pics & info.
27-GEARS!!, Please read before posting gear ?'s. Updated 11/11/03 godless
28-Axle door code chart for Broncos. MOUNTAINMAN
29-Gear Ratio Calculator -Very cool calculator at grimmjeeper.com. Use the drop downs to choose trans, t-case & tire info for a side by side comparison of ratios, crawl & highway speeds/RPMs.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,204 Posts
I'm not sure when the change was made, but older Broncos came with 9", & newer ones have the 8.8. My 90 & your 93 both have 8.8s, unless someone has swapped it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts