Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I just get em from the local 4x4 shop..

Genuine Gears are usually noisy so I'd stay away from them in the rear. However the front would be fine since not many people roll around in 4wd all the time.. If you're going that far, try and get atleast a locker for the rear. It'll add up the total but be completely worth it..

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
I personally like Yukons.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Probably Moser or Ford Racing. Moser is all US-made, Ford Racing parts like that are usually just re-boxed production parts (also US-made generally). I've used both in Mustangs without problems, and they're high quality.

Richmond and the others, I'm not qualified to answer. I'd just make certain they're a US-made set. Never can trust the chinese garbage out there.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've had bad luck with Yukon gears and don't like their super high price!!! Ever since breaking two sets of Yukon's, I've always bought and installed PORC gears. They're the lowest priced gears I could find, and they've all held up great thus far. So I'm really happy!!!

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know that recently I've heard some bad things about yukon gears but the ones I put in my 10.25 and D60 installed very easily and I was actually able to just use the factory shims and everything lined up perfect. So far I've had no problems, breakage, noises, vibrations ect. I put 5.38's in with a welded rear carrier and open front. I would reccomend them, but I keep hearing about them outsourcing to different countries so IDk anymore. I do know of a few sets of Genuine Gears ring and pinions that have made noise and had to be replaced on some club members trucks.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
any reason why your not going with 4.88's. especially since you have an OD tranny and the 5.0 would love that extra gear. remember its not only the size of the tire but the weight that sucks the power. Im running 4.88's with the 5.8 and love the setup. great around town and even better on the hwy. 2400rpms at 70mph isnt bad at all and for that 5.0 it wont be hunting gears when you hit a slight hill or head wind.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
+1 with Kemicalburns

Also I think Motive gears are just re-baged Genuine gear

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You'll be fine with 4.56s. Hell I've been running 3.55s on 36 Iroks for almost 4 years. I can't tell the difference in power or shifting between that and my all stock 92 5.0. 4.88s will kill your highway mileage. 2400 at 70mph with a 351? Have fun with that.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
any reason why your not going with 4.88's. especially since you have an OD tranny and the 5.0 would love that extra gear. remember its not only the size of the tire but the weight that sucks the power. Im running 4.88's with the 5.8 and love the setup. great around town and even better on the hwy. 2400rpms at 70mph isnt bad at all and for that 5.0 it wont be hunting gears when you hit a slight hill or head wind.
Exactly. I am running 4.56 gears and 33's and love that combination. If you have 35's and a OD I would go 4.88's without a doubt.

You'll be fine with 4.56s. Hell I've been running 3.55s on 36 Iroks for almost 4 years. I can't tell the difference in power or shifting between that and my all stock 92 5.0. 4.88s will kill your highway mileage. 2400 at 70mph with a 351? Have fun with that.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Sure you can run that combination but you are working your trans and your engine twice as hard. OH and I just got back from a 350 mile run to a wheeling weekend and ran 70 at 2450 rpm and got an average of 15 mpg. SO unless you are willing to work your trans harder I would go with a set gears. They are alot cheaper then rebuilding a trans or overheating a engine.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Exactly. I am running 4.56 gears and 33's and love that combination. If you have 35's and a OD I would go 4.88's without a doubt.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Sure you can run that combination but you are working your trans and your engine twice as hard. OH and I just got back from a 350 mile run to a wheeling weekend and ran 70 at 2450 rpm and got an average of 15 mpg. SO unless you are willing to work your trans harder I would go with a set gears. They are alot cheaper then rebuilding a trans or overheating a engine.
I do know what I'm talking about. Never had an overheating problem or tranny problems in the 40,000 miles it's been like that. Don't drive like an 16 year old with his first set of wheels, and you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. and Eric I was wondering if I ordered from you do I just call the number you have in your sig?
You can call or send me a PM or e-mail..whatever you want. During business hours calling is easiest or after hours send me an e-mail and I usually get right back to you.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
i regularly get 15mpg in my bronco also on the hwy. the 302 also makes its power a bit higher in the rpm range so being at 2400 rpms wont hurt anything only improve your on road performance.

i guess if you go with 4.56 and its not what you expected you can always drop back to 33" tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts