Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to alot of this wheelin stuff, but i have an '87 which is mostly used for just off roads. It has 3" of lift front and 4" rear and 33" tires. Has stock 3.55 gear ratio. I really want to get new gears because even in LOW its not low enough. What ratio do you suggest? Also what will this do to my fuel mileage and around how much am i looking at for a shop dp to this, as i have no clue how to do gears. Thank you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
4.11's ought to be good for 33" tires. It may or may not help gas mileage, depends on how you drive it. If you have a shop do it and they purchase everything it could easily come out to $2000, especially if the front and rear end are still in.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4.11's ought to be good for 33" tires. It may or may not help gas mileage, depends on how you drive it. If you have a shop do it and they purchase everything it could easily come out to $2000, especially if the front and rear end are still in.
Holy crap. Two grand?? Maybe i wont be getting gears done. Wow!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
call some shops and get quotes. $2k is on the high side

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Don't waste your money. Doing gears to compensate for 33's is hardly worth it. If you upgrade to 35's or larger then it can be beneficial. But to get to where you want to go with a better low gear, your not going to see much improvement in it's crawling abality unless you were to go to a real low gear set.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't waste your money. Doing gears to compensate for 33's is hardly worth it. If you upgrade to 35's or larger then it can be beneficial. But to get to where you want to go with a better low gear, your not going to see much improvement in it's crawling abality unless you were to go to a real low gear set.
So 4.11's wont make LOW any lower huh?? I am always riding the brakes coming donw any incline and i hate it

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
4.11 gears with my 302/aod combination is a large improvement over the stock 3.55s. If, one never has plans to upgrade the 302 with heads, etc. or cubic inches I would probably suggest 4.30s. Problem is, I don't think anyone makes a 4.30 for the 44 front. I haven't tried the 4.56 so I won't offer an opinion. The 4.11 are much better though. My fuel economy did increase with the change also.

i don't remember exactly what the gear change cost me, but 2000 would probably include lockers and high end labor. The gears, "master install kit", and labor should be about half that. I have a 9" rear, went with a detroit locker rear and true trac front too. Call some vendors for gears (check here, 4X4 mags, etc) for prices on the parts. Then shop around for labor prices as that will vary by region/area and who/what kind of shop you use.

tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts