Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting some 4.10's in my Bronco soon... I called 4wheel parts on Federal and they priced me at around $2,000 for front and back including labor. That was a rough estimate so I'm sure it’ll go up or down from there. Anyone here in CO know of a better venue to accommodate my ambitions?

·
Premium Member
1996 Ford Bronco
861 Posts
I'm looking at the exact same thing, 4.10's in my 78. But I'm also looking to put a Detroit in the rear.

Al over at Colorado Axle and Gear quoted me $1600 for the gear swaps, plus the price if the locker. So, call it $2100 all in with the Detroit.

I went over to High Country Performance 4x4 today and they quoted me $3,000 for the same set up! Yikes.

I'm going to also get a quote from JD's Automotive. A little two-three man shop at Simms and Colfax. Al from Colorado Axle and Gear recommended him for the new suspension I had installed on my 78. James is the owners name and did great work at a fair price. All the other shops were afraid to touch my disco-era suspension. He builds kick ass buggys and rock bouncers too, so gears, etc. is child's play for him.

·
Premium Member
1996 Ford Bronco
861 Posts
Oh and I forgot to say, if your gonna do anything with 4wheel parts, just buy stuff from them. I wouldn't let them work on your rig.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm looking at getting a lift installed as well, I got a quote from off road LTD that seemed reasonable. I guess I should check out JD and get a quote.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Installed lunchbox (spartan) in my 9 inch which blew up after a year and then re-geared and got a grizzly at Western Drivetrain in Aurora off Chambers and 17th.

Complete 3rd member for 9 w/ yukon grizzly locker and 4.56s $1200.

Complete rebuild of ttb dana 44 with 4.56s open (required new housing due to gear size) $1100.

Total approx $2400.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I should mention I actually got 4.57s (ford gears) and the lunchbox locker I installed not Western Drivetrain. For just gears you may also want to check out Rock Rash engineering I think they quoted me 300 per axel plus cost of gears so you may get away with around 1k with them, and I would have used them but forgot about the shop when my locker blew. Rock Rash does sweet custom work from what I saw when I went to their shop.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the info on gears, I've been in contact with James at JD for a lift install. He quoted me a couple hundred less than off road ltd and several hundred less than 4 wheel parts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can rebuild my bronco with my eyes closed but I have never tried to tackle diffs I am wanting to install 4.56 gears and need to know if I need a different carrier. I currently have 3.55 stockys. Front axle is a hp 44 out of a 78

·
Registered
136 Posts
Raised: yes you will for the front.
I made that mistake and sent a low speed carrier to the scrap yard! Got around $100 for the truck I hauled in and had to pay around $80 for a carrier from eBay.

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
836 Posts
When I was pricing gears this place has the best prices around, think he was at $850 for regearing both front and rear.

SFF Customs

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,068 Posts
Just another option as I happened to see this post, you can go to a Dana 50 3rd member for the front which are easier to find with 4.10's in them factory. Swap that into your bronco then you would just have to re-do the rear gears. I got a 50k mile one if pristine shape off ebay for 250 shipped ready to install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't go to 4wheel parts for anything. They are rude and very unprofessional. I would either go to Hi country 4x4 just off Hampton and Santa fe or to Northridge 4x4 in Loveland.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used SFF customs in Parker. 4.88s and a detroitnlocker out back. Gears sound good. 4K miles later they look good when I inspected them. No complaints and a great price !!

·
aka: boilermakerms007
426 Posts
On the Dana 44 anything above 3.73 you need a different carrier. Their are thick cut gears out there to avoid this cost, but none for reverse cut gears for HP differentials.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts