Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Excuse the newbie for bringing this up, as im sure the subject has been beat into the ground by now with all the how to's and what should i do's, but Ive been searching around the web and reading the forums and from everything i've gathered, there isn't much for choices for a true cold air intake for our broncos, is there? Everything i've seen so far is mostly just an "open air intake" where the box is gone and a BHAF straps onto the tube and that's that.

I guess my concern with doing that is sucking up all that warm air radiating off of the engine and basically not doing much good for keeping the air as dense as possible.

Just wondering if anybody has ran across a true cai. I've seen the K&N, AFE and the S&B but thats about it...all warm air or open air intakes.

Thank you
Joe

·
Registered
867 Posts
honestly ur best bet would be running either an open air intake from the denderwell (bad idea if ur off roading) or just doing a k&n drop in filter thatll use the air piped in from outside

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I think that I might have to add some custom piping under there to relocate the fresh air intake. Once upon a time, I took that "sipping straw" off of the box and it's been sucking air from just under the hood area and on really hot days, it stalls on me, but that only happened a couple of times. I'm just ready to figure out something better so that when i do get the chance to wheel the trails with some of the crew here in Colorado, I don't have to worry about the thing stalling at a really really bad time...know what i mean? I think it should squeeze a few more miles per tank out of it too once i get the intake, a flowmaster and maybe some new cats under it too. When we bought the thing, we drove it around for about 2 hours before we bought it and it threw some o2 sensor codes, they claimed they fixed it but i'm betting money that they just started it a few times to get the cel to stop showing up, so I bet I have some more work to do with it. There are some codes still stored in it, i've seen them when i ran across the how to on finding stored codes. I might have to take it to the auto parts store and have them clear them out for me and see if it comes back again before i go yanking o2 sensors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:rofl:

Now thats good advice!!! Wonder if the wife will go for it, after all she's only a few blocks from work these days.

Has anybody ever done any smoke/fog tests to see where the most cold air comes in from the front? There's not much for openings to allow fresh air in without going to a snorkel kind of setup, but I think I might be able to pull some air from below the radiator and route the tube to make that work. We dont do much muddin or water crossing, but maybe i can figure out a way to remove that tube in the event that we have to. Hmmmm!!??!?!?!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See, i was thinking about something like this (this one's in a Ram pickup).

I'll talk to the guy who makes these and see if he's interested in making one for the bronco.

I wonder if I can relocate that plastic piece of crap antifreeze overflow/windshield washer fluid box that keeps breaking it's plastic mounts to where the stock intake is now and then mount a box like this where it opens up. I'll keep you all posted on the turnout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.