Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pulled the oil pan off of my 3.8 bonneville today to access the damage done by my ignorant exgf. it had two gallons of oil in it......keep in mind its only supposed to hold 4 and half quarts. the oil was a milky orangish color. I figure the intake gave out on it (common problem on these engines) and leaked antifreeze into the oil killing the bearings. :banghead

Anyways...are the rods supposed to have play in them? I could grab 'em and wiggle 'em around pretty good...they had a good amount of play in them.

oh well, atleast shes buying me a new engine for it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I dont think they are supposed to be able to wiggle....
Just wondering though is the movement of the rod, along the wristpin or against the way the pin is?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WhiteBronc said:
I dont think they are supposed to be able to wiggle....
Just wondering though is the movement of the rod, along the wristpin or against the way the pin is?
they're loose on the crank. you'll have to forgive me as im total noob when it come to engine internals..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you can feel it move it's too much play.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Sounds like anti-freeze doesn't offer the kind of bearing protection oil does ?

Send her the bill !

Sixlitre

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
the orange milky color is likely a head gasket like you said. those engines were notorious for that. i got two new engines in my GTP because of that. and the orange milky shit is the dexcool GM uses it is orange and nasty.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
post some pics of those bearings when you take them out....they have to be shot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts