Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
186 Posts
@BikerPepe` Love your name. I’m thinking naming by Bronco “Pepe”, as in Lil Mule! Thank you for the welcome. I just bought my Bronco a week ago today and already miss Pepe! She’s/He’s at the shop!

Take care from the East coast, brother!!

Jeep Tow/Recovery Vehicle, 😆
4872A40A-4D65-4A70-A60A-0891A0A25E29.jpeg

·
Man of endless projects
9,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
what area you from? im near Tampa-ish area, Angelo is abit more South. Jer and Pfun are Jacksonville area. kinda makes it hard to go for trips with people scattered.

Me, WhoIsScubaSteve and couple friends went to Rancho a month ago. we went after i swapped the axle in my 88 which did not go as quickly as planned so we got there late and i was already exhausted. it was pretty crappy trip, was super dry and kinda boring. we found 1 small mud pit that me an another went through the center of while the rest skimmed it. we made it through but the mud was like driving through paint. very watery but coated to everything. completely filled both our radiators. their radiator eventually blow a giant hole through it while mine was a constant overheating. ScubaSteve had to drive a good distance to pick up a spare radiator while i drove to a carwash to spray my radiator which did nothing. when we finally left i had to go back to the carwash and spray it again and take hood off to get home but it still is pretty gunked. by time i got home i was completely exhausted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Kingfish999 I’m in Coral Gables, about 4 miles from Miami airport. When my kids were small, we used to camp in Ocala. We’ve hit all the major state parks too, tent camping.

I specifically bought the Bronco to tow my future boat (next summer hopefully) and to camp and kayak again. My camp-mobile at the time was a ‘94 Landcruiser FJ80. My favorite spot is Bear Island in the Big Cypress. Plenty of camp sites there...no snowbirds!
Here’s the FJ80 in Bear Island. It had a tailgate...like the Bronco. Perfect!
D31DF192-155F-46D2-AFE3-BA93B215E9A0.jpeg
Here’s the CL ad...dude placed it last Tuesday around 10pm. By Wednesday noon it was mine. Just what I was looking for!
61CC1311-EFEF-4460-AF11-6530690690F5.png

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Kingfish999 My wife wanted me to get a new F150. She’s not into old skool. I decided otherwise. Being a classic, it Hagerty will insure it. I simply called them up and added the Bronco to my existing policy. I have 2 other old skools with them.

The cost: $275/year, $300/$100K policy limits, declared value:$12,000. Free roadside assistance too!

This Bronco actually is saving me money! That way I can afford a better boat.
Here’s my Wilderness aluminum rack I paid around $800 for back in the day. Mounted solidly to the Landcruiser’s gutter.

I’m removing the rack cross bars and U bolt the basket with stainless steel U bolts and lock nuts. Also mounting a brand new in box 10’ awning. I bought it and before it arrived, my son then 17 totaled her. Then load errrr up and go!!! I was gonna rattle can touch up but, heck no. That’s patina! Every hit is a memory.
03012852-7C36-4DD4-852E-2D6CA1B9BE27.jpeg
BECD2E82-800B-4B58-A851-8FFB24D14297.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
14,765 Posts
Hard to tell, the black hides a lot, but that Bronco looks to be in pretty good shape..Any major rust issues?? Either way, you're going to love it..let's see a couple pics of that FJ40..I dig those old rigs..

·
Registered
186 Posts
@jermil01 Rust, sadly yes. At the roof corners, passenger worse, where the fiberglass of the top meets steel top of cab. Affects the gutters too. Previous owner said Ford had issued a technical service bulletin. It involved welding/bolt/rivet a steel plate to reinforce that area. Due to flexing of the top, it allows water in without the plate. I don’t know that for a fact, though.

Some dime size bubbles along the leading edge of hood and small area bottom edge of tail gate. That’s it! Frame, floor boards, quarter panels including rears...zero rust. All structural frame brackets and mounting points are good.

Hood had 1 respray. Rest is factory paint. The PO paid for the Marti Report! He also bought a data sticker from Marti, that goes on the drivers door jamb. The existing is scuffed up. See the ad, all the parts were OEM Motorcraft! Seller loved this old gal! I’m the 3rd verifiable owner

It’s a solid good ol’ honest truck. I am taking to the next level. Sadly, yesterday I found out the tie rods, bushings drag link etc is shot. It drove good to me but I said what the heck, replace!

She was a working girl when young, towed something for sure. I found red Georgia dirt and good old FL muck underneath. She’s been on the trails!

But...she was well cared for and put away nice and dry!
Take care!

·
Super Moderator
14,765 Posts
@jermil01 Rust, sadly yes. At the roof corners, passenger worse, where the fiberglass of the top meets steel top of cab. Affects the gutters too. Previous owner said Ford had issued a technical service bulletin. It involved welding/bolt/rivet a steel plate to reinforce that area. Due to flexing of the top, it allows water in without the plate. I don’t know that for a fact, though.

Some dime size bubbles along the leading edge of hood and small area bottom edge of tail gate. That’s it! Frame, floor boards, quarter panels including rears...zero rust. All structural frame brackets and mounting points are good.

Hood had 1 respray. Rest is factory paint. The PO paid for the Marti Report! He also bought a data sticker from Marti, that goes on the drivers door jamb. The existing is scuffed up. See the ad, all the parts were OEM Motorcraft! Seller loved this old gal! I’m the 3rd verifiable owner

It’s a solid good ol’ honest truck. I am taking to the next level. Sadly, yesterday I found out the tie rods, bushings drag link etc is shot. It drove good to me but I said what the heck, replace!

She was a working girl when young, towed something for sure. I found red Georgia dirt and good old FL muck underneath. She’s been on the trails!

But...she was well cared for and put away nice and dry!
Take care!
Bummer about the rust, but that's par for the course with these rigs..I've fixed my cab corners 3 or 4 times..Just got done doing it again, so if you need any tips or pointers let me know. I've got plenty of pics of the repair on my supermotors page..Yeah, tie rods and all that other stuff come with the territory, best to just get it knocked out and have yourself a nice driving vehicle..sounds like you're going to put it to good use. Enjoy!

·
Registered
186 Posts
@jermil01 I’ve only had her now for 8 days. 3-spent 25 miles away at my sisters, 2 with me at her new corral and now 3 and counting at the “spa”!

The FJ40 is a ‘65. Has a lot of last year features like 3 on the Tree and an operational opening vent right under the windshield glass.

She’s a solid California car I bought like 20 years ago dirt cheap, considering today’s cost, paid $4K and $600 to ship here. She runs and drives great....BUT she won’t stop.

About 4 years ago I redid the brakes, replaced soft and some hard lines, master cylinder too. These are not power brakes! They use 2 wheel cylinders per wheel. They’re a b!tch to bleed.

I got frustrated,,,,them found a really cool El Camino and never looked at the 40 since. I’ll get to it someday.
6369F4A0-7D32-454A-B4B8-4135CEE7757E.jpeg
3D8BD70E-E726-448B-9655-6C3A47F14BB9.jpeg
1CA0A9FC-129B-454F-A882-2EC28D9E9270.jpeg
88C3FDB3-60F7-443C-BB5A-66A8A812F3BC.jpeg
0B0DC8AC-2439-4F40-A715-5A95874D96DE.jpeg
DA41D3DF-71D7-4E9D-B4E9-997161DC4C72.jpeg

41 - 48 of 48 Posts