Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried a search and I guess this would be more of an informational thread, and after the fiasco with the TTB and radius arms, I'd like to know what axle model is as close to a bolt in swap as possible to replace a TTB. I know, this is a rather open ended question so lets go with a D44 as a baseline. I realize also, that there is no such thing as a simple "bolt-in" swap... I'm looking to do as little fabbing as possible though... I know there will be a need for a track-bar and swaping out of spring buckets. This question is more for the guys that have already done all of this leg work, and done the swap...

Thanks again...

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
its kind of more a question as to how you want to do it.

If you want to do it right (IMO) for the cleanest install and the longest travel shocks, etc. you would want to replace the ttb upper coil bucket. it isnt necessary, but i prefer it. Again, matter of prefernce.

That said, you could get away with just swapping
axle, radius arms, radius arm mounts. this ouldnt tak any fab skills as you could bolt up the old radius arm mounts without a prob, but they are not the strongest thing in stock form. The guys in canada using the square tube have a nice easy solution.
the only reall fab work required is the upper track bar mount. This NEEDS to be done right as it is the most important piece. there are lots of styles used so far, so pick the one you like best.

Otherwise, lots of parts are interchangeable.

I highly suggest reading all the threads on swaps, etc to get an idea of what is involved. there are som many write ups now that all your questions will be answered if you look in the right places.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
i recommend looking all in this forum, and also at peoples superfords that have done the SAS. ones that come to mind for a really clean swap that was primarily bolt in are chris85xlt and dustin, and possibly dogunmut. the best axle to use is one out of a 78-79 f-150 or bronco, because it is simply the solid version of the fullsize radius arm suspension. jermil01 is doin this swap right now, and im sure will keep us updated on his. the best thing for you to do is just look at peoples superfords, and if you have questions PM them or get ahold of them in other ways. also, do a LOT of research before you dive into it.

wes

·
user title
2,211 Posts
WES said:
the best axle to use is one out of a 78-79 f-150 or bronco, because it is simply the solid version of the fullsize radius arm suspension. QUOTE]

I, too...intend to do a SAS, but waaay down the road - just out of curiosity...I have and intended to use a '78 250 d44, isn't that the same as the 150 (for the most part - obviously I know the spindles and so on). Just to say, I also intend to use the D60 in the rear :D.

:shrug
Bill

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
the f-250s use leafs, which means you would have to weld on the c-tabs for the radius arms. i dont think it would be that hard, people are doin 60s this way all the time, so just study up and figure out every little detail before tackling it.

wes

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Tomh971 said:
I've tried a search and I guess this would be more of an informational thread, and after the fiasco with the TTB and radius arms, I'd like to know what axle model is as close to a bolt in swap as possible to replace a TTB. I know, this is a rather open ended question so lets go with a D44 as a baseline. I realize also, that there is no such thing as a simple "bolt-in" swap... I'm looking to do as little fabbing as possible though... I know there will be a need for a track-bar and swaping out of spring buckets. This question is more for the guys that have already done all of this leg work, and done the swap...
Now there's one hell of an excellent post! You realized your q was open ended, narrowed it down as a result, and have clearly done a bit of research beforehand to begin to understand what might need to be done.

That said, did you search for write-ups on this? Dave Blue's write-up at wt4wheeling.com might be helpful, and here's Larry Stein's:

http://www.geocities.com/lars915/straightaxle.htm

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Blaze said:
Cool link Keith, I somehow missed that one in my research. :thumbup
I've been checking out Brian's for some time: http://soderblom.net/bronco/tech/D44solid/
Although I'm gonna just cut the cross member instead of doing all that track bar mount fabbing.
Brians' swap, even by his own admission, was rather pricey. Those radius arms are far from cheap, and there was some other optional bling in the steering links and what not.

Brian and I compared prices on another forum awhile back and to duplicate his swap was about the same as what I spent on my D60 leaf sprung.

Its' all about what you want I guess

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
I was more checking out the mechanics of it. I'm gonna use the stock RA's with extensions like Tommy was running from bent and twisted. What kinda shocks you runnin' Keith? I'm thinking of running the skyjackers..it's whats on my '95 and I like 'em ok. but then again I'll have a little different handling and flexing charchteristics after my SAS...

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,204 Posts
Keith_L said:
Now there's one hell of an excellent post! You realized your q was open ended, narrowed it down as a result, and have clearly done a bit of research beforehand to begin to understand what might need to be done.

That said, did you search for write-ups on this? Dave Blue's write-up at wt4wheeling.com might be helpful, and here's Larry Stein's:

http://www.geocities.com/lars915/straightaxle.htm

That's a great link..thanks Keith.. :thumbup :thumbup

·
Registered
643 Posts
as far as the trac bar brackets go im gonna use the bracket that came on the axel and the bracket that i jacked off the truck.mines gonna sorta be ghetto riged up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts