Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reminding everyone to get your flu shots early this year, I had to find out the hard way.

Wednesday morning around 10am, I began coughing my ass off continuously, and got a fever. Both of these symptoms went from nothing to severe in a matter of an hour.

Well, I went to the doctor today, thinking I had bronchitis (coughing up green shit at this point), and it turns out that I have the most severe form of the flu.

Now, contrary to the common stomach flu, this flu targets your respiratory system, and causes high fever. Nausea usually isn't a symptom of this flu.

When I went to the doctor earlier, I had a fever of 101.5, and high blood pressure (nurse says it happens sometimes when your immune system is fighting sickness).

They put me on a medicine called "FluMadine", which is a twice daily prescription, and after taking it this morning, I felt a hell of a lot better. After the medicine wore off, my fever came back, higher than before, and my cough returned. I just took my second dose, and am going to bed soon.

Now keep in mind, I have a weak immune system, and I have been sick with all kinds of bad things... And this is the sickest I have ever been, I honestly began to feel like I was dying.

My doctor said that I'm the first case in my area that he knows of to get this flu this year. He also said that it is predicted to be a bad flu season this winter.

In conclusion, GET YOUR FLU SHOTS!! I had to learn the hard way, I am taking the bullet for you.

If you get these symptoms, don't try and wait it out like I did, see the doctor ASAP. This form of flu does not get noticably better over time.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
I've had my flu shot every year since I started dialysis. Got mine a couple weeks ago and I got a cold shortly after, but now I should be good to go for the rest of the winter. Since I've started getting the flu shot, I've not gotten sick hardly at all.

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
<----- never gotten a flu shot

·
Registered
261 Posts
Every year I've got a flu shot I've gotten sick within a week afterwords. Every year I didn't bother with the shot I didn't get sick. I'll stick with vitamins and healthy diet..that seems to keep me healthy.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you could not pay me to get a flu shot.

I would rather gamble and see if I do not get it.

been a while since I had the flu anyways...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wont take any flu shots. It seems to me that once you start taking them you HAVE to take continue to take them. Also, everyone who gets them ends up sick anyway. I only get sick with I dont take care of myself.

·
Only the Bronco
973 Posts
I got my Flu shot and I had no after effects, but... i also just got over a cold about a couple days before I got the shot..... so.......

·
Registered
331 Posts
Broncobabe...I understand your situation, I'm not hatin on those who get flu shots. I used to work in an office of 40 people and 90% of them got flu shots and they all missed days sick, so I just didnt see the benefit of it. I did better eating right and making sure I got my rest. I would invariably get sick when I lived on fast food and go to bed at 2am and try to get to work at 8 for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
The way i look at it, is if everyone around me gets the flu shot, then I dont have to worry about getting it from them.

I will let them be the guiny pigs.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
that's not true, because there are different strains of the flu and the shot only covers one not all.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,207 Posts
The flu shot is one of the medical communities biggest scams. Never had one and will never get one. For some reason the idea of having a flu virus injected in me is not very appealing.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Forget the flu shot. Before Jenn and I were married she took the flu shot. Well she then spent the next week & a half in bed. She thought she was going to die. I spent everyday after work laying in bed with her. I didn't get it and didn't take the flu shot either. So forget taking that junk!

I think when I was in the military they gave me enough shots to last a life time.

You can keep those flu shots. I will take my chances!!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i don't like needles so no shot here. beside i get sick about once a yr and i have done my time already for this season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts