Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my D44 hot tanked(Axle has been hot tanked)

I found a place that will hot tank my whole axle. My question is since I am replacing the gears and everything everything else in the pumpkin, do I need to mark anything, or can I just pull them out and set them aside?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Good deal dude! :thumbup
Thank God, plug's already done the "scrubbing" so to speak on mine! :rockon
Man we're getting so close on our SAS's I can taste it...:toothless

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See that's what I've heard mark the caps in the pumpkin??? But, what the hell does that mean? I'm not going to be reusing the gears the carrier or anything in there, so why mark them. Can someone point in this picture what I need to mark. Thanks.

I know what you mean Shane, I can't wait to get this thing done. Its getting close.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
The bearing caps, they hold in the carrier, they have 2 bolts. as soon as you take off the cover they smack you in the face.

just take a punch and hammer and tap a 1 mark on one bearing cap and the housing then 2 marks on the other side. this way you will know where the caps have to go and dont get them swaped from side to side

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I see now. They need to go back in correctly on the left (driver's side) and right(passenger) side.

So if I put a mark on it like this, that should work?

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Just put a identical mark on each side of the housing next to the caps, just incase you forget which one went where.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea D...Thanks.. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
What about mounting the caps the other way? Is that bad?
What I mean is we all now know that you want to mark which side they came from so you can mount them back of the correct side, but what if you mount the cap 180º. Is that bad? Or does it not matter????

·
Registered
643 Posts
i mixed the bearing caps up,is theree a way to tell wicj side they go on?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On mine, I noticed there were two arrows on each bearing cap, one pointing up and the other pointing down, the arrow were on the outside edge of the bearing cap, if that helps. I'll try to get a pic.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just in case any of you all were interested, I got my axle back from the machine shop..They did a really good job hot tanking it, wound up costing me $40 buck, best money I've spent so far and they removed the pinion. Here's a pic.. I've done a little more grinding on the axle to clean of the rest of the rust and should be ready to paint it this weekend...I'm thinking fluorescent green..what do you all think?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Red, hmmm now there's an idea, I was thinking a blue might be cool as well..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah...I'd probably stick with the '78..but you knew that already.

·
Registered
744 Posts
you want to keep the bearing caps on the same sides and same top and bottom. They Heat up and expand and contract forming to the the way they are installed. If you switch them which I am sure some have you run the chance of them cracking and breaking which will kill your gears.

You could get new ones then it would not matter since they will form there own way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts