Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting the oil seals out of the rear axle. I have searched and all the older threads that I have come up with the pictures are no longer. I bought a seal puller and bent it pulling on one. I didn't get it to budge.

The left rear seal was the only one leaking but figured if I am draining the diff and pulling one shaft......do both.

Does any one have any pics of the proper method for getting old seals out of the rear axle?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
slide hammer would be the best if you have one or can barrow one. i did mine the redneck way i guess if you take the diff out u can use a pipe from the oposit side worked good for me.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured. I don't have one but can rent one.

I wonder how much they are to just buy. I know I will use it more than once.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Advance has them for rent. They are basically free, leave a deposit and get it back when you return it whole... A decent set will be about 150. I know if you rent the tool you can end up keeping it. Thats what i did since my kit was new and for the price it was right.

Dont forget to inspect the axle shafts and bearings while you're there if its an 8.8

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the shafts are in better condition that I thought they would be. The bearings seem to be in pretty good condition. I just got home from Advance and got the full axle slide hammer kit for $129. It is a rental but am going to shop around and if that is a good price for everything it includes then I will probably just keep it.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If it is the stock type seal,not an aftermarket bearing and seal assembly-also known as an axle saver,I insert the clip end of the axle in far enough to catch the seal and then push the axle sideways to pop the seal out.This method works 99% of the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts