Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 92 EB bronco used for parts. I plan on towing it today only to realize I've lost the keys and have no way to put it into neutral. I've heard something about disengaging the linkage somewhere. any ideas?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,397 Posts
take the driveshaft off

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
If your BKO is EFI tilt or non-tilt steering wheel you can try this:

On the bottom of the dash & column there is a small trim piece that has a rubber column insert, cosmetic looking with 2 screws. take that off then on the column there is another cosmetic piece which is the column shroud that has one screw on the bottom of it, remove it and open, extend or or stretch the shroud and carefully rotate it until it comes off, looking at the top of the steering column towards the dash you will see a metal rod that runs along the top heading down under the dash, with pliers you might be able to drive it forward and release the shifter out of Park to Neutral. If you can get the rod in the "RUN" position you could pop out the key cylinder, there is as small slot underneath it and with a small screw driver place in and push up and the cylinder/tumbler will out making it easier using the shifter etc. :banghead

This procedure is used for starting when the ignition actuator breaks inside the steering wheel collar right at the key and shifter spot. When driving the rod forward the display and fuel pumps come on, all the way forward will start the motor, that's how you'll know you it did it right.

Otherwise you may have to disengage the shifter rod and manually move the tranny shifter arms to get to neutral. Both procedures are a PITA, but stuck is stuck unless you get a lock-smith.

Removing the drive shaft is another possibility also ~ :doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otherwise you may have to disengage the shifter rod and manually move the tranny shifter arms to get to neutral. Both procedures are a PITA, but stuck is stuck unless you get a lock-smith.

Removing the drive shaft is another possibility also ~ :doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
Did this, wasn't a PITA. only took a few mins. thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
You may be able to shift the transfer case into neutral also. Some models you need the key, some don't. Depends on how far you are going.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,983 Posts
I'd drop the rear driveshaft, or unbolt the manual lever position sensor and put the E4OD in neutral by hand.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
826 Posts
Put the t-case in neutral? How far are you towing, across the yard or across the state? Dropping the rear d-shaft works too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts