Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unbolted all 8 12pt nuts form the ends of the rear driveshaft, but it wont come out. I need to take it out to figure out which u-joint needs replacing. Need help quick its starting to rain!?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o, ok, just didnt wanna try forcing it out if there was something else i had to remove, thanks
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,025 Posts
Konham said:
I unbolted all 8 12pt nuts form the ends of the rear driveshaft, but it wont come out. I need to take it out to figure out which u-joint needs replacing. Need help quick its starting to rain!?!?
It's likely just hanging there from rust seizure. give it a good whack, and it will fall right off, so be ready to grab hold of it. Don't knock it on the tube, hit it right down at the joining of the flange to pinion yoke, shouldn't need much of a hit, just a shock to break the rust hold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got it out rather easily actually, but now having a hell of a time getting the u-joint out, seems rusted in there pretty bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm, rustpenetrater and the sledge hammer didnt budge it, i have no idea what to do at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if i do have to buy a whole new rear driveshaft, how much would it cost at the dealer?
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I would use a ballpeen hammer and a small pry bar.

Or you could get wild and use the parking brake and put the sucker in gear and that should break it loose. :thumbup

Which i would only recommend AFTER a case of beer and some tequila shooters. :beer That way you could blame the beer.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
Konham said:
got it out rather easily actually, but now having a hell of a time getting the u-joint out, seems rusted in there pretty bad
You have to first remove the clips from all four sides.

If you have a vice:
on one end of the joint, get a socket that will just fit inside the hole. (the hole that the u-joint is in) Get another socket, that has an ID that is larger than the hole, in other words,using your new ujoint which you have on hand, will fit easily into the socket. Place the driveshaft in the vice with the sockets at opposite sides, begin to tighten the vice until it wont turn anymore. Than grab a hammer and gently tap it until it breaks lose. Repeat as necasary.

If you don't have a vice you still use the sockets, except you will be beating on it instead, until it is forced through to the other side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah actually i did use that procedure, as according to the manual. Didnt have a vise so i used the sockets and a sledge hammer, took a real beating to get them out, and kinda flattened one of the sockets. I got the first u-joint out, working on the next one. It seems as if the centering ball joint thing in the inside was what was causing problems, because it is all wore and has no grease. Looks like i will have to weight till monday to finish since the dealership isnt open tomorrow. Its ok to drive with only front wheel drive right?
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,025 Posts
Konham said:
yeah actually i did use that procedure, as according to the manual. Didnt have a vise so i used the sockets and a sledge hammer, took a real beating to get them out, and kinda flattened one of the sockets. I got the first u-joint out, working on the next one. It seems as if the centering ball joint thing in the inside was what was causing problems, because it is all wore and has no grease. Looks like i will have to weight till monday to finish since the dealership isnt open tomorrow. Its ok to drive with only front wheel drive right?
Yes, I've done this before (drive using front driveshaft only). Dealer will likely be expensive, you could also go to napa. Just be careful they sell you the correct one. from napa IIRC the centering ball kit is about $40

I'm assuming you'll go and get 3 U joints at this point? This job would really piss you off to do again within a year for a ujoint, may as well replace them all.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
you are replacing the u-joint at the double cardon? I'm in aww. I replaced many u-joints, but was afraid to do the doublecardon myself the first time. Instead I took it to a shop and payed them to do it and was allowed to watch him. The next time I needed to replace it I was able to with minimal problems. The main thing I was told was to make sure I didn't lose that spring in the centering ball.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, the ball part is all messed up, prolly doesnt even have a working spring anymore.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top