Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother goes to the naval academy, and he wants to go into aviation. While he is on christmas break, he's going to be taking flight courses here. I always try to give him high-quality stuff that will last indefinitely if it's taken care of, so I am looking for Ideas for Christmas... Been struggling trying to figure out what he really NEEDS, or could use a quality item of. I was thinking about getting him a pair of aviation sunglasses, maybe Ray-Ban aviators or Randolphs. Advice?:beer

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Figure out what he may get issued first. I know air force pilots get issued all their flight gear, including sunglasses. I've certainly found enough of them that pilots leave on my planes.

How about "How to Fly for Dummies"? :histerica

On a serious note, all weather pens/pencils and notebooks are actually good pilot gifts. I'm pretty sure those would be the only things they don't get issued. They need them to write down notes on everything from navigation notes to mechanical/electrical issues they experience, and even do some old fashioned math on occasion.

·
Super Moderator
26,007 Posts
yo Happster,
Congrats to him and his family and friends!

12. What should I bring with me on I-Day?
All midshipmen candidates are directed to refer back to the instructions provided in their Important Information for the Class of 2018 booklet. Midshipmen candidates should specifically be concerned with:
-Required documents to bring with you on I-Day
-Restrictions and recommendations on clothing for Plebe Summer
-Restrictions and recommendations on other items (watches, razors, etc)
-Recommendations on personal appearance (Hair cuts, etc.)
*The Important Information for the Class of 2018 booklet can be found on your midshipman candidate information page.

and a tip by a Jerry
"Like everyone else is telling you, only bring the things on the list. One of the important things on the list is a pair of broken in running shoes. The report packet will tell you they should be predominately white, but get a pair that is comfortable for you. You will want to get them several weeks before I day and do a lot of running in them. You will use those for PEP (Physical Excellence Program) in the mornings..."
http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/showthread.php?t=5196

For an immediate stay-at-home gift; Bay Rans are a good choice.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Does the Navy still issue the Hamilton Chronograph watches?

The best way to ID an aviator is look at their wrist; huge, high quality, easy to see analog watch.

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
^no, they don't

USNA: buy him a back bone.. sorry had to :}

but a real idea woul dbe a good watch. pick a price. G shock up to Resco are common.

·
was born with a
4,415 Posts
My nephew graduated USAF academy last year.

I got him a pin to wear under his uniform.

It is of Jupiter(God of the skies), along with a passage engraved on back.

Congratulations to your brother.

·
Banned
9,179 Posts
I was thinking about getting him a pair of aviation sunglasses, maybe Ray-Ban aviators or Randolphs. Advice?
On the INside of each lens, tape a tiny piece of paper that says "I AM NOT GOD". :histerica

And get him a deluxe collectors edition Blu-Ray of "Airplane!"

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
And get him a deluxe collectors edition Blu-Ray of "Airplane!"
*BZZZ* Wrong answer!:twak It should be a two-disc set of the movies "Hot Shots!" and "Hot Shots, Part Deux!"

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
A quality flight bag or kneeboard is a good idea for a new pilot. Also consider a nice logbook. The small "starter" logbook is OK but a professional pilot will quickly use that one up. Also consider an electronic logbook program like LogTenPro or LogBookPro. They are worth the price especially if it will be a career. I don't have any of my time logged in electronic format and filling out airline applications is a huge pain in the ass. Luckily I only have a few aircraft types and I only fly one plane at the moment, but I still wish I had it. These programs can categorize all previous flights into any sort of time a prospective employer wants (multi engine time as Pilot in Command, with an instructor, at night, while in IMC etc).

I would stay away from watches and sunglasses. I wear cheap sunglasses from Canal St in Chinatown and I don't even have a watch. Many expensive sunglasses are polarized and that is a bad thing when looking at digital instruments and LCD panels. The expensive watch is a decoration, not useful in flight.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Breitling Watch.......says it all. Congrats to your brother :thumbup

If you or your brother are religious a St. Christopher necklace, he is the patron Saint of the traveler.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How about going cool and classic? Some years back I got my grandfather a compass from WW2. I think it was maybe 30-50 bucks online or something? They're pretty easily found still and they were mass produced so they're not terribly expensive. They are, however, very cool.

May not be the best navigating tool but it could be a really cool item for them to have.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,272 Posts
I'm with Stangmata on a good flashlight, I see a good amounts of pilots come through my store and they are always interested in good flashlights

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Come on guys wheres your sense of history and nostalgia? what the man needs is a silk aviators scarf and a bomber jacket :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
LOL, even Tom C. had a leather bomber jacket in Top gun. That's very Navy :toothless

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,625 Posts

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for all the helpful info. My computer has kicked the bucket it seems so it has been hard getting on the forum. I'm gonna take a look at those links. I was thinking a flight bag maybe with some other goodies inside it, we will just see what it all adds up to. Either way y'all have really helped me out here!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts