er input

definately going with shorty headers
on a tight budget

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gack

I remember some threads about Summit 'brand' ones having crappy flanges.
Don't want anything I'm going to have to go back and fix every 3 months

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
PaulT said:
Thanks Gack

Summit brand is Pace Setter.

·
Registered
303 Posts
BBK... have run them on both engines in my bronco ( 302 and 351W ) Would say spend the money and get a set of lock bolts.... that way the bolts cant back out and blow the gaskets... I have been running a year now on my header gaskets with no problems... knock on wood!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
i got a set of stainless from MACs they are nice equal length and cheaper than bbk. I found them on the proficient performance website.

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
bigbronco1996 said:
i got a set of stainless from MACs they are nice equal length and cheaper than bbk. I found them on the proficient performance website.
How is the spark plug access with those?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
PaulT said:
Thanks Gack

I dont know about that. I read that 4xpepe had them on there for a while and he liked them. I am going with the summit shorties cause that is all i can afford right now

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
I dont know about that. I read that 4xpepe had them on there for a while and he liked them. I am going with the summit shorties cause that is all i can afford right now
Some people have luck with them, others don't.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I been looking at the Bassani or JBA equals.....the ONLY thing that is holding me back is plug access..........but come spring I will pull the trigger on a set.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Whats the difference between short headers and long headers. I always thought you wanted the pipes to be equal length (long headers).

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would say be cautious with BBK. I ordered a pair and they had the wrong colletor Inner Diameter. I called up JEGS to get a replacement and they want me to pay for shipping to send them back.... Im going to call BBK and see what they have to say, but I sure don't plan on spending extra money on a factory default. Ill let you know my final verdict on jegs and BBK when I figure out they are going to do about my problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Streetgang said:
I been looking at the Bassani or JBA equals.....the ONLY thing that is holding me back is plug access..........but come spring I will pull the trigger on a set.
Bassani fits great, equal length, no leaks.:thumbup

·
Registered
940 Posts
i just put the bbk ceramic shortys on with the bassani y pipe. the bassani pipe did not line up with the bbk headers. it was off by over 2 inches. it took me 3 jacks and a few pry bars to get it to line up with the collectors. i think this is just the byproduct of 2 manufacturers difference from factory measurements. thank god i followed pepe's advice to hook up passengers side first, and take out the inner fender.
the bbk's flange is 3/8ths thick, but not true. placed on a flat table they rock side to side. i used copper gaskets, and i don't think they leak yet. my egr tube broke, so that is all i hear right now. the tube on the header that the egr threads into seems to be a different thread from the egr tube. i only got it 2 or 3 threads in before it got really tight. it broke right at the accordion, so i didn't really mess with it further.
i forgot to put in the new spark plugs before i put the passenger header on. i was able to put them in with no problem with the header in place. :thumbup when you're looking at the header off the engine, the plug change looks impossible. but on the engine, you can slip right down in with the socket and an extension.
i used ARP 12pt stainless bolts, but had to use a few 6 pt. grade 8 that came with the header because of how tight some of the tubes are. i could not get a 12pt anything on the head and had to go for the open ended wrench.

they seem to be nice headers. this is my first pair so i have nothing to compare to. i like the ceramic coating, it looks great. the sound i get is awesome with a very small case (40 series?) flowmaster and sixlitre's 2 1/2" mandrel dynomax cheapy tail pipe. sounds angry.:thumbup

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
kaudbron said:
I would say be cautious with BBK. I ordered a pair and they had the wrong colletor Inner Diameter..
Are those the ones that are suposed to be the Chrome version of mine?

kaudbron said:
I called up JEGS to get a replacement and they want me to pay for shipping to send them back.... Im going to call BBK and see what they have to say, but I sure don't plan on spending extra money on a factory default. Ill let you know my final verdict on jegs and BBK when I figure out they are going to do about my problem.
I had a similer problem with my timing chain. It was the right box with the right # on it, but the wrong chain inside. I sent it back to SummitRacing. Summit sent me a new chain, refunded my shiping, Gave me a credit for $10.00 of my next purchase and a T-Shirt.

And they almost always send me a hat with every order.:toothless
So I do my buisness with Summit as much as possable.

broncobum said:
i used ARP 12pt stainless bolts, but had to use a few 6 pt. grade 8 that came with the header because of how tight some of the tubes are. i could not get a 12pt anything on the head and had to go for the open ended wrench.
Had a similer problem. Had to use one of the bolts that came with the headers becouse my "Stage-8" Locking bolt wouldnt fit.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Isn't anybody going to answer my question :cry about the differencs between short headers and long headers, performance wise? :cry At least aknowledge me :cry
IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE? :cry
CAN YOU GUYS HEAR ME? :cry

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going short because they "should" pretty much bolt right up to the existing factory exhaust.

Longer pipes = more torque
shorter = horsepower

Or do I have that backwards...my mind is mush right now

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
thank-you :thumbup

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Also long tubes are almost imposable to make fit if you ever want to go From TTB to a solid Axle. The drive shaft with an SAS hits them. (IIRC)

And many Long tubes dont use the gasket-less ball socket flange. Wich is another disadvantage to them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts