Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Bronco XLT 351m/4 speed, TTB, 205, 9" rear
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, now that the super cold weather we had up here in Northern BC, Canada appears to have taken a hike, its time for me to get serious about restomodding the girlfriends crusty 80 Bronco. Its pretty rough, but it was built the year she was born, so she wants to save it and turn it into a super usable adventure rig. Good thing I just bought a welder. Plans call for replacement of the non original 351m with a warmed up 302, I might pull the 4 speed in favor of the 5 speed out of my 91 F150 mud bucket. The NP205 and 9" rear will get a going through and have a locker added. But before all that, bodywork. So much bodywork. My mud truck will also be donating its doors, bench seat and other odds and ends. I also plan on a full cage that will fit under the top, and kayak racks. Custom bumpers and a winch I can put on to either end.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Super Moderator
29,084 Posts
yo DD,
Usually, 30 posts are required to be able to post in this build section. However, since our site "upgrade" in 2019, the automated inclusion/exc,using process isn't working, so have at it!😎

I posted some 80 Bronco info in your introduction thread.
Al

·
Registered
405 Posts
looks like you’re ready to have fun. Keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
81 custom 351W Manual 4spd 83 XLT 302 manual 3spd OD
132 Posts
Sliding side glass. I like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yo DD,
Usually, 30 posts are required to be able to post in this build section. However, since our site "upgrade" in 2019, the automated inclusion/exc,using process isn't working, so have at it!😎

I posted some 80 Bronco info in your introduction thread.
Al
Oh crap, I didn't even see that! Thanks for letting me slide on this one, I appreciate it!

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sliding side glass. I like it.
Me too! It even came with the GT bar, not in the pic, I removed it as it was only held in by sheetmetal on one corner! Not sure if it is going back in or not just yet. I may find a way to integrate it into the full cage I am planning, in such a way that it doesn't get molested.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Rough?! I hope you're a good welder! Since you plan on mudding, do you plan on using paint or bed-liner? And do you plan to use the GT bar as part of the roll-cage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rough?! I hope you're a good welder! Since you plan on mudding, do you plan on using paint or bed-liner? And do you plan to use the GT bar as part of the roll-cage?
Yeah, she is pretty haggard, but I think if I don't rush, I should be ok. Plan is to do bedliner underneath and inside, and if I can integrate the GT bar in a way that I don't cut it up, I will.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright folks, quick update. Between the stupidity at work and my other big project, ( cab swapping my 99 F250 ), The Bronco restomod has temporarily stalled. That said, I took next week off from my gong show job to get some things done, and that includes the Bronco. First thing will be to rig up some way to keep the rear quarters from sagging once I cut out the rest of the floor I have an idea in mind, involving some square tube and ratchet straps. I don't have a big garage so I gotta get creative. I will be sure to post pics of the rigging, maybe it will inspire some other small garage guys.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Following please keep us posted

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, quick update. Due to a tragic fire at my friend's house that unfortunately cost him his life, I no longer have the top, or a good friend. This has also stalled me some trying to figure out what to do next. That said, my plan now is to start at the front floors and work my way back. Going to start with the driver side floor and rocker. Next post will have pics, I promise!

·
Joisey don't smell funny
78 Bronco Custom, 460/ZF5, Sniper upgrade, 3G, dual batt
1,391 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,162 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your good friend.

Reactions: cjwchoppers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. As promised, here is a quick progress pic. Cut out a section of front drivers floor pan and replaced it with a piece of old road sign, rat rod style. Note that this is just a small section, much more to go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts