Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Would it be the old Torsen? It was quite the rage a while back. Not really sure what all Gleason made, though. It could be something else, if it is the Torsen then it should be pretty good.

G

·
How It works:
In the Torsen, as in any other differential, the power of the engine is transferred to the differential housing via the ring gear. The Torsen then uses pairs of worm wheels (from two to three pairs, depending an the size of the differential) mounted on the differential housing to turn the worm gears splined to the axle shafts. The left worm wheel of each pair turns the left axle shaft, and the right worm wheel of each pair turns the right axle shaft, Because the worm wheel cannot turn the worm gear, it locks on the gear and turns the axle shaft, propelling the vehicle forward. The right and left axle shafts (and right and left wheels) turn simultaneously. Each wheel then rotates at the same speed.

However, when the vehicle makes a turn, each wheel rotates at a slightly different rpm. For instance, during a left turn, the left wheel will slow down by two rpm, and the right wheel will speed up by two rpm. One axle shaft always slows down at the exact rate that the other one speeds up. This difference in rpm is transferred to the worm wheels (because the worm gear on the axle shaft can turn the worm wheel and equalize the other side via the 1:1 spur gears, which act as balancing gears). So the engine is "Locked" or engaged on the axle shafts, while allowing for differential action when negotiating turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
They still make them, just not by Gleason. They are/were used in the military Hummers and some OEM stuff, I think Zexel is the name of the company making them now. Might be the same company with a new name.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I researched them when I was looking for a front locker. I wanted something that would put a little less stress on the D44 and alow for easy steering. It's my understanding they work like the Detroit/eaton Truetrac IIRC. I found a place that carred the gleason style but they were 600-700 buxs IIRC. I got the Truetrac for about 400.

I for one luv this type of locker in the front! Very easy to turn in lowgear even in the rocks. The only time I can feel it fighting the steering is at full lock. A few times under some slow/steep climbs I could feel a front tire start to slip and then feel the front just go(locker working) hard to explain. Its a unique feeling at times, it feels like a open diff until you need it. Its my understanding that it works just the oppisit of a L/S. Meaning it sends the most torque to the tire with the most traction, usaly in a 2/3 or 1/3 bias.

If you will be doing alot of high traction wheeling I think this is a good option. But if you see alot of the loose stuff or mud then I would go full Detroit. IMO.

Well, thats my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts