Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done one yet? Ive searched and did not see any. I love the Ford platform, but you have to admit, the LS is something to brag about. I havent made my mind up yet, but the wheels are turning. After my lift, and either 35 or 37 inch tires Im just not so sure the 302 is going to keep me happy. Im seriously thinking LS swap. Thoughts anybody?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you want to be different why not a cummins swap like a 4bt ?You can stroke the 302 out to a 347 and make some big power if you got the money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive bulletproofed a few of my own 6.0 diesels but am in no means fluent enough with diesels to tackle a cummins swap. One could simply change intakes to go to a carb'd LS setup. However, theres not a lot of electronics involved. The power that is capable from a 6 liter ls is phenomenal. Best part, you can make that power on a stock bottom end and still be reliable. Im in the air on it. I just want to gauge the members hatred on a General Motors heart in a Ford body.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,982 Posts
I can see why one would one to do this, and if money is the only concern have at it (as in cheapish reliable power). I completely agree that there is a reason why there is a lot of LS powered stuff and it is a good engine, However would I personally do it, no. To me it is dependent on ultimate use. You could easily build a Mild street truck with either a Blazer or Bronco the only place it makes sense to me is in a go-fast desert style build as the TTB is superior to the options available in a Blazer to make good travel for not a bunch of money.
The LS swap into a Ford to me is really all about money, which going fast with what you got or able to get is what hot rodding is all about. I am sure 10 years from now maybe the Coyote swap will be the most popular as there will be a good selection of them in junkyards and the aftermarket is already there.

·
Registered
859 Posts
There's a few out there. It's not a very difficult swap anytime you're replacing a SBF with a LS. I was going to put a 6.0 or 6.2 in my 94, but as I did more research I decided to go diesel instead.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So, I have some very honest questions and opinions on this.
Why did you buy a Bronco to put a GM engine in it? You are aware GM makes one, it is called a Blazer.

How would you feel if I bought a Blazer and dropped all Ford parts into it? Better yet, how would you feel if I bought an El Camino, Camaro, any carbon copy of a Ford vehicle and placed all Ford parts in it?

If you really want GM, just buy a Blazer/Yukon/whatever-they-are-called.

I had more, but figured I would hold back and try to avoid a flame war here. I really don't want to come off as an a-hole, but it just bugs me when people have to go out and buy a Ford and say "I know I could have bought the GM equivalent, but I wanted to buy this here Ford and drop GM stuff in it." To me it just comes off as people wanting to troll the Ford crowd in doing so and just seems rude.

Find a diesel or a good Ford engine of sorts and its all good.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
i say go for it, the **** with what other people think
its your ride and make it how you want it with your budget
do what ever you want ot keep that ol bronco rolling down the road
unless you put ls badges all over it or open the hood everywhere you go no one is likely to be any the wiser to it
what trans you think of backing it up with?
I think a 4bt cummins would not make you happy performance wise

the ls is a awesome platform,light pretty compact,pretty easy to retrofit with amazing aftermarket support and makes awesome power
cant fault you for that
my 62 Cadillac may end up with a ls swap

if I had bought my project 78 before I sold my low mileage 76 454 my bronco would be running that motor instead of a 460 because I already have it and it is cheap to build unlike a 460

don't know why people get their manties all in a bunch when someone suggests using a different brand engine in a vehicle
hell no one gets all righteous when someone swaps in a cummins from a dodge

·
Registered
169 Posts
How much is a ls swap gunna cost? I can tell you right now im in the process of doing a 460 big block swap on my 95 bko.. i bought a 95 f250 donor kept the motor, trans which is also built to diesel spec btw, front dana 50 center, rear sterling, wiring and motor cradles.. i paid 1k for the truck.. i partrd what i didnt need and have made more off the truck then i paid for it.. now im building my 460 and using a cam from reincarnation automotive and ive raised to C/R to 10.0-1.. my motor is estimated to put down 370hp and 500tq without ported heads and factory intake. With those ported it would be around 410hp and 550 tq.. total so far on my build is 5k... but ill probably be around 7k when done. I say screw the brand x bs.. if you really want something special swap a 5.0 Coyote in.. not to much more expensive then a ls swap...

·
Registered
184 Posts
The thing is no one makes swap parts for that,You would have to make your own motor mounts,Make a adapter plate for the trans or swap in a 4l60e that will need a ecu to run.Then you got what t case to run the np241 from a 88 up chevy truck will fit the trans but no clue on how to get the speedo to work.Then you have to make a trans mount work for it.And last probably have two driveshafts made for it.If you can fab all that go for it if not there is cummins swap parts for the 12 valve and the 4bt and both have been done many times in fords even the broncos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I have some very honest questions and opinions on this.
Why did you buy a Bronco to put a GM engine in it? You are aware GM makes one, it is called a Blazer.

How would you feel if I bought a Blazer and dropped all Ford parts into it? Better yet, how would you feel if I bought an El Camino, Camaro, any carbon copy of a Ford vehicle and placed all Ford parts in it?

If you really want GM, just buy a Blazer/Yukon/whatever-they-are-called.

I had more, but figured I would hold back and try to avoid a flame war here. I really don't want to come off as an a-hole, but it just bugs me when people have to go out and buy a Ford and say "I know I could have bought the GM equivalent, but I wanted to buy this here Ford and drop GM stuff in it." To me it just comes off as people wanting to troll the Ford crowd in doing so and just seems rude.

Find a diesel or a good Ford engine of sorts and its all good.

Because I bought it with my money, not yours. That means I can do whatever the fu*k I want to with it. You see SIR, I merely asked for people's opinions on the matter. Not to be interrogated into a pissing contest. So the best way to respond to your ignorant post is to simpmy say "because it is mine and I can"

If you bought a Blazer and put all Ford parts in it? Hhmmm.......Id commend you for stepping outside of the box and doing something that is simply not ordering parts out of a catalog and bolting on your truck. Maybe your so mad because that may be all you know how to do.

I am perfectly aware of what GM is, Blazer, Yukon or Suburban. My father worked for GM for 42 years. If I wanted one I would have bought one. But for the time being I am going to contemplate putting one of the best motors ever made into MY Bronco bought with MY money. Is this ok with you SIR?

:goodfinge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing is no one makes swap parts for that,You would have to make your own motor mounts,Make a adapter plate for the trans or swap in a 4l60e that will need a ecu to run.Then you got what t case to run the np241 from a 88 up chevy truck will fit the trans but no clue on how to get the speedo to work.Then you have to make a trans mount work for it.And last probably have two driveshafts made for it.If you can fab all that go for it if not there is cummins swap parts for the 12 valve and the 4bt and both have been done many times in fords even the broncos.
You brought up some valid points. However, they are easily answered. With the 6.0 LS I would mate a 4L80 to it. They make stand alone tcm and ecm's for just this situation. Tranny mount is easily fabbed up with some 2 inch DOM steel tubing. Driveshafts are easily made, welded up and sent to the local shop for balancing. Motor mounts are the same way. Ive made my own motormounts to put a 350 into a Ford Ranger at 20 years old. Im sure I can make them to put a 6 Liter into a Bronco. You are only limited to the tools you have access to and how far you are willing to push yourself. This is a rather easy project and I will start a build thread as I begin to get parts together. :popc1:

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,971 Posts
There is an ls9 swap going on, on this very site, right now. Search will find it.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Go for it, sounds like something I'd like to do. I'll probably go the 460 route though. Haters will always be there, so provoke them. I had an ls1 powered Volvo and stopped by a corvette show once. Let's just say it wasn't a warm welcome. At least I used mine, most of those old dudes drove their corvettes like they were saving the tires for the next owner.

·
I'd rather be sleeping
665 Posts
Swapping an LS is the modern SBC swap. It is the box and by no means thinking outside of it.
In fact swapping a late model Ford engine in would be far more unique.
As far as diesels go, the 12/24 valve Cummins are great candidates and were offered by Ford in the F600/700 (base diesel and a total dog in that platform from what I have read) and for years in the Ford chassis Blue Bird brand school buses.

I was trying to work the expression "die in a fire" into my response, but I couldn't find a polite way of using it.
So I will provide a quote from another forum that covers it:
Fukk that trailer park, mullet motor swap right in the mouth.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Love reading these types of threads, also don't get why some people get all wound up. I have owned almost only Ford vehicles my entire life, however, 3 of them have been LS powered. If someone were to buy a Chevy and put a Ford motor in it, I wouldn't care one bit. In fact, I can't think of a single combination of brands that would bug me to be honest. All of these brands are corporations making products and collecting profits, why do people get so attached? Do you get mad if someone plugs samsung headphones into their iphone?

IMO the fact that someone took the time to engineer and build something with their own hands and make it work in an application it was never designed for is much more genuine and inspiring than any of the brand loyalty nonsense.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Because I bought it with my money, not yours. That means I can do whatever the fu*k I want to with it. You see SIR, I merely asked for people's opinions on the matter. Not to be interrogated into a pissing contest. So the best way to respond to your ignorant post is to simpmy say "because it is mine and I can"

If you bought a Blazer and put all Ford parts in it? Hhmmm.......Id commend you for stepping outside of the box and doing something that is simply not ordering parts out of a catalog and bolting on your truck. Maybe your so mad because that may be all you know how to do.

I am perfectly aware of what GM is, Blazer, Yukon or Suburban. My father worked for GM for 42 years. If I wanted one I would have bought one. But for the time being I am going to contemplate putting one of the best motors ever made into MY Bronco bought with MY money. Is this ok with you SIR?

:goodfinge
Then why are you asking for anyone's thoughts? You started this pissing match. Is your idea to jump down people's throats that don't agree with you? Is this what trolling is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then why are you asking for anyone's thoughts? You started this pissing match. Is your idea to jump down people's throats that don't agree with you? Is this what trolling is?
I simply asked for opinions. Not to have my intelligence insulted.

"In case you dont know GM makes one, its a Blazer.......blah blah blah".

I certainly know what vehicles GM makes. An opinion is not supposed to be arrogant. An opinion would be " I would or would not do that swap because............."

Not drilling me on whether or not I know what SUVs GM makes. His response was arrogant, childish and he came off like a dick. As far as a "trol" or "trolling"???? Look up what the word " opinion" means and get back to me. Good day Sir.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,971 Posts
He was asking for thoughts on pros/cons, and if anyone had done it. Nowhere in his posts does he ask for subjective opinions.

I would never put a chevy motor in anything but a chevy (which I despise). I've owned one Chevy, a 79 z28. I liked driving it, but I'm a Ford man and always will be. My cousin and great uncle have been Ford dealers since WWII so that's how I was raised.

Op, don't worry about pissy people on the web. Everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to that. Doesn't mean you have to do what anyone here says. I bet if you said , " hey I'm gonna put a BBC 572 in my Bronco" that people would still hate on it.

Do what you want. It's your Bronco. Whatever happens, be sure to post pics!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts