Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forums.

Later today im going to look at a 1986 Bronco 302/AOD. I was wondering what exactly i should look for as to point out trouble. I know the basic automotive stuff i need to check for, but was wondering what common problems are for these trucks. Also, where should i look for bad rust spots?

hopefully ill be joining the Bronco community later this week, my blazer took a huge dump sunday (i hate chevy lol) so i cant wait to have a real truck!

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
-check the rain gutters & sail panels (B-pillars) for cracking
-check for a working rear window (both swithch and tailgate key)
-check the condition of the rear window seal at the top of the tailgate
-check transfer case & hubs
-usual engine & tranny stuff

·
Registered
389 Posts
Congrats for ditching the chevy! :thumbup :beer :rockon

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Make sure to drive it around too(if you can)

You can't always see a problem, but you can def. feel it when you drive.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
86 was a good year, the older style with the 302 efi and aod tranny.

check for floor rust, which is cause by bad weatherstripping, windshield leaks, etc. Rocker panels, corners near the driver/pass belts wines up, back corner near the tailgate, floor pans for driver/passenger.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
86 was a good year, the older style with the 302 efi and aod tranny.

check for floor rust, which is cause by bad weatherstripping, windshield leaks, etc. Rocker panels, corners near the driver/pass belts wines up, back corner near the tailgate, floor pans for driver/passenger.
Danged straight is was a good year !

Drive the truck and feel for dumping into OD from drive. It's not necessarily bad, but check for it.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure that the truck is driveable and reliable. Bronco windows even the tailgate are not that bad. Is it a manual or automatic?
shes an automatic. id love for her to be stick, would be much more fun!

the 302 is efi? just not an HO right? those came out in 87 if im not mistaken, what kind of efi is the 302?

i hope it runs well, going to see it at 3:30pm. i dont care about emissions either, theres ways around those ;)

thanks for all the advice, ill try my best to remember it all when i get there, ohh yea finally found out the color, black w/ silver paint and red interior!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I've been seeing many a Bronco's for sale around my house latley. Makes me wish I had more money to get some more :cry

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

ignition actuator in the steering column is a real PITA, works in tandum with the key and if the actuator breaks which they do you have to pull the column shroud off, turn the key forward to "run" and use a pliers on the column rod that's attached and drive it forward to start.

Oh yeah, you're gonna love the way your hand feels after a while ~ lol lol

Good Luck ~ :chili:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looks like these guys have hit the main points. Hope to see some pics soon :D

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I've been seeing many a Bronco's for sale around my house latley. Makes me wish I had more money to get some more :cry
Yeah

if I didn't have to put so much gas in mine, I'd have enough money to buy more Broncos ;)

Sixlitre

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well went to look at it.

The good: according to the guy whos selling it, its got a new timing chain, timing gears, alternator, waterpump, new ball joints, it was regualarly serviced and stuff. shes got a 2 inch lift on her and big tires! the tires are in moderatly good shape, like 40% tread left and minor cracking in the sidewalls. the interior is mostly there. very little rust in the floor boards and the frame is in good shape. nothing looks like it has ever leaked, everything underneath was quite clean. all the glass is in good shape.

The bad: rot on the rear door, minor rot on the rocker panels, and on the lips over the wheels of the fenders and quarters. the bushings for the door pins on the pass side are shot and its a little bit of a pain to close the door. theres a very minor leak on the thermostat housing, easy fix, nothing i cant do in 10 minutes lol. also an exhaust leak on the pass side where the manifold bolts to the down pipe. everything else works though.

its also got wires run already for subs! hehe, the truck runs nicely and stops pretty well for something its size, no noise from the tranny or anything else.

whatcha guys think? set the blazer on fire and junk it and pick up a bronco? oh yea she'll be my daily driver too.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
well went to look at it.

The good: according to the guy whos selling it, its got a new timing chain, timing gears, alternator, waterpump, new ball joints, it was regualarly serviced and stuff. shes got a 2 inch lift on her and big tires! the tires are in moderatly good shape, like 40% tread left and minor cracking in the sidewalls. the interior is mostly there. very little rust in the floor boards and the frame is in good shape. nothing looks like it has ever leaked, everything underneath was quite clean. all the glass is in good shape.

The bad: rot on the rear door, minor rot on the rocker panels, and on the lips over the wheels of the fenders and quarters. the bushings for the door pins on the pass side are shot and its a little bit of a pain to close the door. theres a very minor leak on the thermostat housing, easy fix, nothing i cant do in 10 minutes lol. also an exhaust leak on the pass side where the manifold bolts to the down pipe. everything else works though.

its also got wires run already for subs! hehe, the truck runs nicely and stops pretty well for something its size, no noise from the tranny or anything else.

whatcha guys think? set the blazer on fire and junk it and pick up a bronco? oh yea she'll be my daily driver too.
That ain't a leak at the headpipe

your 86' manifold is cracked right where your one and only O2 sensor screws into it. That's why many of 86ers end up having to buy shorty headers;

Rust all sounds repairable. How much does she want for a 23 year old truck ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hes asking $500, not sure if its neg. or not. seems like it would be a fun daily driver, im not too concerned with the gas mileage, as long as it was like my mustang or better (200 miles to tank, tanks 16 gallons i think).

i told my mom and she doesnt like the idea, cause if i get it, this will be my 6th car and im only 18 :) haha. im looking for this to last atleast till april/may. becides that im pretty sold on the truck, should be a fun beater/DD.

i can also fold the rear seat flat and have a king size bed for when my mom kicks me out from bringing it home lol.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sounds like a good price, I highly doubt you willg et 200 miles to a tank if it is indeed a 16 gallon tank? I get around 260 on a 32 gallon tank. The issues all sound repairable/liveable.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal. $500 for a running, road worthy truck is never a bad deal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts