Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but i need to go to the scrap yard and get rid of alot of crap. I have an 8.8, 10.25 carrier, gears, yokes, old pieces of doors sheet metal and other various garbage steel parts i gotta get rid of. How do i have to prep it before i take it to the yard/?? can it be painted?? do i just have to drain the fluid out and remove the brakes?? i mean, how much work do i have to do before i scrap it all, i;ve never scrapped anything but copper or aluminum. thanks--Chad

·
Registered
111 Posts
Right now scrap metal is at a premium.

Load it up on a trailer and haul it to the yard. They will weigh it, unload it, weigh your truck/trailer empty and pay you for the weight of the scrap.

No need to remove any fluids or anything else.

·
Billdo
2,191 Posts
scrap it, if you have any alluminum get all the steel off of it cause theyll seperate it as dirty aluminum and they give less for it. aluminum and brass = $$$$$

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
In va you get a little more per 100 pounds if the gas tank&tires are off of it
around here they will not take the gas tank (maybe some do if it has a visable hole in it if i remember right) and will back charge you for tires
Same in Pa. or at least the places Ive seen/been to. Drain the grease and oil out of the parts, then take them in. Doesn't take to much extra time to do, and as a side effect, helps the enviorment :thumbup

KC

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I sold a few axles to Reynolds over on Atando a couple weeks ago and they were paying $9.50/100# at the time. They didn't ask and didn't seem to care if they were drained or not.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
I dropped off 360 lbs of random steel today-

Got a cool $20 in my hand, way more then i was expecting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I sell scrap all the time. I don't make a fortune off of it, but it's free money....

for very little work. I get a lot of junk from neighbors and my handyman customers. You shouldn't have to do anything at all with what you have. Just load it in the back of a pickup or trailer, get on the scale, dump it off, get back on the scale, collect cash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts