Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my unit today to get some paperwork signed to get a free hunting/fishing licence. While i was there i was talking to some people about deployment since i saw some intenerary before saying next september we could be going. Well, according to everyone, "youll make it back just in time", from AIT, as i get back March 24th, and we're supposed to go in 2-3 waves or something, as we're sending several companies from the 108th. They said the first wave should be going mid march, then the rest following right after or something. They said dates weren't set in stone, but it's a good chance i get my deployment orders while still at AIT. Now...I'm personally OK with it, as, it's a risk, and i knew it was a high risk i'd get deployed soon after i got out of AIT, for me, the sooner the better, as then after that i can start getting into classes and stuff, and "start off right". Most of the times, you won't be deployed for 2+ years after that, so, that would mean i could get 2 years out of the way, and have enough credits to look into OCS.

Here's the question, when should i tell my mom? Well, what would you guys do. I know this is 100X harder on my family, especially my mom, me even doing all this and being gone. I'm home on Christmas leave until the 3rd, and it probably will be the last Christmas i'm home for a year, possibly 2. I'm afraid i may only have a short break between the time i come home from AIT and the time i deploy, and advance notice is always good. Should i go ahead and tell her now while i'm home so she can prepare? Or wait a month or 2 and just tell her over the phone..or what? I would imagine in person, while i'm here for another week and a half would be the best...but, I guess i'm just looking for insight as i've never been put in this position before.

Thanks in advance :rockon

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Tell her now before you have the details. It not only gives her alot of time to get OK with it, but you probably won't be able to give her alot of details anyway (I know I couldn't). I would also tell her a little sooner than right before you're out the door if you're visiting her, give her a little time to say goodbye in person.

You're a pretty young buck, it's gonna take a little time for it to set in that you're going over there. It's hard on moms.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
I waited til kinda the last minute on my 1st deployment. I felt kinda shitty about it, but I didnt really know how to break the news to her. My mom worries enough as is.

The second time, I was straight forward, and came out with it as soon as I found out our deployment was definately going to happen. Everything usually stays "up in the air" on our base til about 1 month prior to leaving.

I got the same results the second time, as the first, but she had more time to deal with the fact that I was going to alot shittier of a place.

I let her know that I was going to a "hostile" place, but didnt really let her know about the day-to-day stuff when I was there. I kept her and my sister in good spirits the whole time I was there, and told them everything that happened after I got home. It's alot easier to have them freak out while I'm standing there, rather then when I'm thousands of miles away.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I guess I'd tell her as soon as possible. Good Luck and thanks for your service

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
ToddACimer said:
I guess I'd tell her as soon as possible. Good Luck and thanks for your service
Let her have her Christmas first......do it right after Christmas is over. Knowing moms (cuz i've done a couple, not yours though) She is going to fret and it's going to ruin her christmas.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
:stupid

And as said - thank you for your service.

:usa
Bill

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
i tell my family there is a possibility as soon as the rumors start and then just keep them updated. had to do it three times already. good luck man, and what do you do?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
Let her have her Christmas first......do it right after Christmas is over. Knowing moms (cuz i've done a couple, not yours though) She is going to fret and it's going to ruin her christmas.
That's a better idea. Enjoy the holidays first.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
X-Actly! Probly the best bet, send her a post card from overseas, letting her know where your at. :toothless J/K, but hey... its still an option. :histerica

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
i was gonna say give her Christmas...yall stole my thunder.

my mom still hasnt gotten over the fact i deployed. I think she still is plotting ways to kill me for volunteering to go back ASAP

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
hey daniel just tell here this....at least im not ken he has to go over there and drive around the big cities in 5 ton trucks and humvees. i get to stay on base and play with airplaces all day.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
I'd wait till after Christmas, why spole it for her. My Mom knew before I got back from my last deployment that i would be going back. She wasn't thrilled nor was the wife and kids. But, they know that the Marine Corps deploys on a regular basis, so they were ready for it.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
hey daniel just tell here this....at least im not ken he has to go over there and drive around the big cities in 5 ton trucks and humvees. i get to stay on base and play with airplaces all day.
:histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bronco Rob said:
Good idea, i was going to do it next week, but i'll wait till after our new years eve celebration stuff (extended family christmas, since everyone could be there), before i tell her, that way i'll still have 2 days with her before i go back to Ft. Eustis, and she still will enjoy her holiday, thanks for the advice :thumbup

imlikeojnow said:
i tell my family there is a possibility as soon as the rumors start and then just keep them updated. had to do it three times already. good luck man, and what do you do?
She heard the rumors before, as one of the 108ths companies got deployed in november. The SFC that got me in, is a family friend, so she goes to him for info and hears stuff from him, as he knows people in my unit.

What do i do? 15Golf, sheetmetal pimp :rockon. Work on all the sheetmetal, fix rotorblade honeycombs, do fiberglassing, composites, etc. My MOS works on all the helicopters, so that's pretty cool. I'd actually rather be a 15Tango and be a crewchief...but the plan is to be flying within the next 8 years, so....really wouldn't make much sense to have a secondary MOS, unless they gave me another bonus :toothless.

Daniel, didn't know you were volunteering to go over again...any particular reason why? Money? And..right bout now i'm wishing i had a wife, get all that seperation pay and BAH...just need to find a girl that'll sign the papers and the prenup :histerica. Daniel...are you volunteering for assignment to afghanistan or iraq? I've heard there's alot more air assignments to afghanistan due to the terrain, but, i'll be going to Iraq from what the people i talked to told me.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
JoeBob1901 said:
Good idea, i was going to do it next week, but i'll wait till after our new years eve celebration stuff (extended family christmas, since everyone could be there), before i tell her, that way i'll still have 2 days with her before i go back to Ft. Eustis, and she still will enjoy her holiday, thanks for the advice :thumbup

She heard the rumors before, as one of the 108ths companies got deployed in november. The SFC that got me in, is a family friend, so she goes to him for info and hears stuff from him, as he knows people in my unit.

What do i do? 15Golf, sheetmetal pimp :rockon. Work on all the sheetmetal, fix rotorblade honeycombs, do fiberglassing, composites, etc. My MOS works on all the helicopters, so that's pretty cool. I'd actually rather be a 15Tango and be a crewchief...but the plan is to be flying within the next 8 years, so....really wouldn't make much sense to have a secondary MOS, unless they gave me another bonus :toothless.

Daniel, didn't know you were volunteering to go over again...any particular reason why? Money? And..right bout now i'm wishing i had a wife, get all that seperation pay and BAH...just need to find a girl that'll sign the papers and the prenup :histerica. Daniel...are you volunteering for assignment to afghanistan or iraq? I've heard there's alot more air assignments to afghanistan due to the terrain, but, i'll be going to Iraq from what the people i talked to told me.

it came down that they were asking for flight crews to volunteer for 6mo-year of deployment. My flight chief said they should be asking for mainenance soon. So myself, a buddy of mine, and my flight chief all stuck our hands up. We were told if it comes down for volunteers that it can be to anywhere that a 130 is. All we know for sure is that it is somewhere in the sandbox.

I stuck my hand up for personal beliefs. I already have my vet preference now, so that aint a big deal. While I was overseas i felt like I was actually doing something. Felt that I was contributing to the fight. It is a lot different then rigging a strut in ISO at homestation, then getting that call saying a plane full of soldiers broke, and it needs fixed now. Damn army never learns to quit touching things they know nothing about...the whole..oh shiny thing happens:goodfinge But like I said, this is the whole reason I signed up. To protect this country and for my friends. not sit at home while everyone else carries the burden

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bronco Rob said:
Whats the age cap on enlisting anyway?
something like 39..one 39 year old guy that was at my basic said he almost missed the cutoff to signup because of his 40th bday. He's national gaurd..so it may be 35 for active..i forget what they bumped it up to before

1 - 20 of 29 Posts