Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am getting a new Aussie locker from KyleQ for my TTB D44. It should arrive next week some time. Ive ran a few searches looking for a writeup on performing this task. the few i saw had limited pictures or direction. Ive heard the directions that come with this locker are real good so hopefully that will help. finding a warm place with a hard surface is going to be the next challenge. More to come with pics of course.

not sure if this will become a write up just yet.

Travis

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well i recieved my aussie locker in the mail yesterday, pics will be uploaded this evening. ive heard this install isnt to bad, although this is my first time tearing apart the front end. Are there any short cuts or specific steps to getting the third member out the easiest. it would be great if i didnt have to pull apart the whole front end. also i currently have 4.88 ring/pinion, do this ring gear tend to be thick requiring removal of the ring gear. any help with this install steps i would appreciate.

Thanks
Travis

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pics. i am really hoping i can get this aussie installed with out having to remove the carrier and ring gear or is that just wishful thinking.

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Its not that bad of an install. Once you get the chunk out and have the Aussie ready to go back in, follow the Aussie setup instructions !!!! The clearences need to be met or else you'll be back in there redoing everything. If you dont already have a set of feeler gauges, get some. And buy a digital caliper. Harbor Freight has a decent one for about $15. ( Once you start the install, you'll see what I mean)

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the locker didnt have instructions with it. i contacted the company to see about getting them either mailed or sent via pdf. Now the shims i need are those just standard TTB D44 shims or are there special ones i need ordered and how many come in a package?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I just orderd my Aussie yesterday! I know the aussie site has a good write up for the solid axle. I wouldn't know where to start with the ttb. Take good photos and let us know how it goes.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
the locker didnt have instructions with it. i contacted the company to see about getting them either mailed or sent via pdf. Now the shims i need are those just standard TTB D44 shims or are there special ones i need ordered and how many come in a package?
they have them on their site

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The only shims required are the thrust washers already present in your diff. You may need to mill these down to get the required clearences for the Aussie to perform correctly. ( I did)

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok cool. i might convers with the fella that did my gear install and see if he would just give me a hand if i do the wrenching.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Does the Aussie up front mess with the steering that much with the hubs locked, but the 4x4 not engaged.

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if the hubs arent locked then you wont notice it at all. i also figured if the weather was bad and i needed 4wd i would only lock in 1 hub.

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anyone know if the Yukon 4.88 Ring gear for the D44 is a thick ring gear? if not i might be able to install the aussie with out removing the ring gear from the carrier. i do know the 3.92+ carrier was installed with my gears.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You don't have to remove the ring gear to get the spiders out, so your not thick. at least that is how I interpreted it. I may be wrong.:toothless So try to remove the spiders, if you can, your not thick. If you can't, you are.

·
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i spoke to my gear installer. He said i should only have to dismantle the driver side hub assembly so i can drop out the center section. He said that as long as i put everything back in order exactly how it was removed i should be fine even removing the Ring gear. He said to mark the ring gear and the carrier along with the bolts so everything goes back as it was. so once i get started on this i will take crazy pics

Thanks

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Kem Just mark everything you will have to pull the ring gear out just mark it with a paint marker you will be fine. It took me 15 minutes to put mine in after the carrier was pulled from the diff. just be careful with the springs use alot of greese to keep the pins in there.

heres mine all done

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
does anyone know if the Yukon 4.88 Ring gear for the D44 is a thick ring gear? if not i might be able to install the aussie with out removing the ring gear from the carrier. i do know the 3.92+ carrier was installed with my gears.
No its not a thick gear. No one makes thick reverse spiral(ford):thumbup gears for the Dana 44. Hope the install goes well.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Well i spoke to my gear installer. He said i should only have to dismantle the driver side hub assembly so i can drop out the center section. He said that as long as i put everything back in order exactly how it was removed i should be fine even removing the Ring gear. He said to mark the ring gear and the carrier along with the bolts so everything goes back as it was. so once i get started on this i will take crazy pics

Thanks
you will find that it is easier to pull both axles...plus why you have them out check the inner seals and see if they need replacing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts