Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend wants to know what temperature waters goldfish are most comfortable. Anybody know? :popc1:

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,923 Posts
Goldfish are easy to keep, especially if you've got the cheapy common ones. Sometimes I turn the light on mine so I can watch him before I go to sleep, other times I just leave it off and let him be and he's been fine for going on 3 years now. *shrug*

I know the light warms up the water some, so I try not to leave it on, it encourages algae to grow.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
We have a bunch of cheapo .30 goldfish in a 3 feet by 6 feet by 4 feet pond or whatever outside. They live just fine in any weather really, it has gotten to freezing cold here and they just huddle in a corner together. They don't need to eat for about a week or more either. Now if you get the different kinds of fish, like the ones that are special or whatever, then worry. Hell, goldfish have a memory that lasts 3 seconds.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
ToddACimer said:
My girlfriend wants to know what temperature waters goldfish are most comfortable. Anybody know? :popc1:

Whatever the temperature of the toilet bowl water is..:thumbup

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was reading on google
Being cool water fish, goldfish are not very comfortable in cold water (as is commonly believed by the general public) nor are they comfortable in high water temperatures usually used with tropical fish. An ideal temperature range is 62-72 degrees, with 68 being most beneficial. Goldfish can and often do survive outdoors as long their water does not freeze solid during the winter or gets too hot during the summer. The pond or container should be large enough that the temperature doesn't change too rapidly. Water changes of 1/4 of the water volume per week to as much as 1/2 of the water volume per week is necessary to maintain the highest water quality.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fish is in Athens, Georgia and I'm in South Range, MI. Give me $500 and I'll fly down there and eat the fish

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BroncoBabe said:
Dude, Todd. You ever come down to UGA to see her?

You do know that's like party school central, right? :toothless
I have classes 5 days a week and she only has classes Tuesday/Thursday so she comes to see me... someday I'll make it down there. I bought her plane tickets last semester and she's hoping to scrounge up some money this semester to come see me.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
ToddACimer said:
The fish is in Athens, Georgia and I'm in South Range, MI. Give me $500 and I'll fly down there and eat the fish
I'll give ya $0.39 tell her to throw it in an envelope and send it to you.

From working in a pet store when i was younger, basic feeder goldfish are rather hard to kill. But it can be done, constant water temperature changes will cause a disease called "ick" that looks like bubbles along the body of the fish.

Keep the water at room temperature. We never heated nor cooled the water that my daughter kept her goldfish in and they just now died after about a year and a half. Always put the water out in a gallon milk jug about 48 hours prior to changing the water out. Do not use distilled water. Just let it set in the milk jug.

Never change more than a quarter of the bowl the fish is in. If it's 5 gallons, change out about a gallon of water twice a month, if not more if it is not filtrated. If the water isn't filtrated change it out about once a week, never more than a gallon to a gallon and a half at a time.

Goldfish WILL EAT til they explode, if she says she is feeding it and it keeps eating, it must still be hungry, she is wrong, a goldfish actually will eat itself to death. Don't over do it on food as it will cloud the water, a pinch twice a day is good enough.

Contrary to popular belief, goldfish do not like to be petted by 6 year old children who think their goldfish would want to see the rest of the house. Do not leave your curiosity ridden 6 year old in reaching distance of the top of the bowl. Once the goldfish has perished in the hands of your 6 year old, explain to your 6 year old that the goldfish is sleeping and that the only way to wake it up is to flush it down the toilet.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,563 Posts
i had a gold fish growing up that lived 10+ years, his water was always room temp whatever that was at the time, 65-75 probably, i keep my tropical fish i have now at 76

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i dont know the water temp but when i was in college we put one in vodka, jack, and southern comfort and they all lived for years after there alcoholic experience.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought my 3yr. old at the time two .19 feeder fish and then when he turned 6 we bought 3 more. still have 3 of them in a ten gallon tank no heater the damn things won't die I change the water not often enough but they do fine. When I do change the water it is luke warm about the temp you would give a baby a bottle I actually test it on my wrist. Yes a light will promote algae growth but will promote brighter colors in the fish also. I have an uncle that sets up aquariums for a living and he says you should have the light on about ten to twelve hrs. a day, it also makes the fish more active.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts