Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well tommorow is gonna be 5 degrees and snow so its a good day to swap a t-case outside right! :slap . Anyways i have the other t-case but i dunno much about the things but it looks like it wont be too hard to get in and bolted up its just minor things i gotta know cause im stoopid. Ok when i pull the old t-case out am i gonna need a pan for tranny fluid or will it stay in the tranny? #2 is there a gasket that goes between the t-case and tranny? #3 how many quarts of tranny fluid goes in a c6 and a np208? and do i fill both.. any other input needed before i start cause then the sooner....will have pics and tech write up when done(prob a week)lol im lazy

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
its very HEAVY....when laying under the vehicle on your back.....it will instantly come to your stomach, so i suggest at least to people or a jack....fluid shouldn't, i repeat SHOULDN'T come out of the tranny unless the output shaft seal is bad. On trucks with non divorced t-case and tranny there is an adapter between the two with a gasket at each end...and on divorced ones there is a driveshaft :) ... Dunno about the fluid amounts.....When i removed mine i : unbolted rear driveshaft at pumpkin then slid it out of t-case and whatched fluid puke out (slip yoke)....then unbolted t-case shifter, disconnected speedo cable, disconnected sensor for 4x4 light. unhooked front driveshaft then stuck the air ratchet on all the bolts and ran them out of the adapter and off came the t-case into my stomach...may take some wigglin' to get it off the adpater....this was all on an 85 f150 w/4.9l, Np435 tranny, np208 t-case...but principals are the same....good luck

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
208 isn't all that heavy, about 70 lbs- it's not too bad doing it yourself. When removing the t-case, it will not drop right away when you break the initial seal. There's about a 1/2"-1" of sliding it back off the output shaft before it'll drop on you. Easiest and safest way I remove t-cases is to hook up a comealong to the t-case and to a rear crossmember. Leave a couple t-case/adapters bolts screwed in loosely and crank the comealong slowly until the t-case breaks loose from the adapter. Then slide under and unscrew those bolts and carefully lift the t-case down to your stomach and then roll over setting it onto the ground. My Bronco has the height so I simply skip leaving the bolts in and slide an unmounted tire under the t-case, crank the comealong until the t-case pops loose and it'll drop right onto the tire.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i have the height too i think, but idk cause ive never done it. Another problem is the t-case im putting in is off a 86? f-150 300-6,4-speed so idk if this is gonna work i might need a different t-case but this one was free and works.

Im gonna go outside and crawl under and inspect now.
is there a gasket i need for between the t-case and tranny?

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Yeah there is a gasket, but I think it is only available from Ford. I just used gasket maker for it...I didn't like doing it, but it was a Sunday and I was desperate.

The t-case is not too heavy, and easy to swap out. Drain the fluid from the t-case and you'll be in good shape. There is a plug on the back of it, use a 3/8??? or a 1/2 I don't remember socket wrench to pull that out.

:beer
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts