Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Battery is toasted after 8 years of abuse.....

What's a good big battery to use in the bronco? I have an interstate MT-65 that measures 11 1/4 X 7 1/2 X 6 outside the plastic body plus terminals etc. It is 675 CCA, they also have a MTP-65 that measures the same in 850CCA. Wondering who has used something even bigger to use up the whole tray, looks to me like a new one at 12 3/4 X 7 1/2 X 8 should fit.

I'd like to use the stock mounting hardware although I saw a post of dual optimas turned sideways that looked cool...

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
why do you want such a big battery, do you leave it parked with the lights on a lot?

if you do a lot of rough driving, a gel type of battery like an optima would probably last the longest, as the typical lead acid batteries don't like being violently shook i've found.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I've been surfing for batteries tonight, I'm thinking Optima yellow top d34/78. They're advertising now that the yellows are good for starting, that's good because I always heard the red tops don't like to get dead, do know if that's still true. They also upped the warranty to 36 months for yellows, used to be 1 year. Deep cycle always sounded good to me other than starting issues. My Interstate was dead more times than I can count, in fact there is small possibility my charger could bring it back to life but it did strand me today, I had to do some macgrubering to charge it off a 24V stationary string of batteries at a remote radio site. It went dead from leaving my sirius on for 3 hours today, no fm transmitter, just so it would continue recording.

I do take it offroad often, I want the big battery for the winch and lights and leaving the stereo on when parked or when my kids turn things on and leave them on.....

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
allways buy the biggest battery you can fit in your vehicle, if you abuse them they recover better and why wouldn't you want the extra power.....

·
Super Moderator
25,819 Posts
yo!
FYI and yes, let's Not begin the Battery War - again in your thread.
Review, Walmart Everstart Maxx 65N; 850 CCA, 1000 CA (manufactured by Johnson Controls) by miesk5 at FSB
I purchased this battery at WAL MART® (battery is not listed in their web site)

It is mfg. by Johnson Controls & produces this EXACT SAME battery (CCA, etc.) for many auto makers and retailers under different product names such as:
Motorcraft® silver BXT-65-850; ~$100.00 to $120.00 Plus $104.95 + tax, etc. at your local friendly Ford dealer
Sears Die Hard Gold 33065 $105. +
Auto Zone (Duralast Gold)
Eveready
Everstart
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus $104.95 + tax, etc.
Toyota (TrueStart)
Mitsubishi (Diamond Car Care)
Mazda
Advance Auto (Autocraft Titanium)
Costco (Kirkland Signature)
Pep Boys (ProStart & Energizer)
btw, Johnson also mfg. Optima brand

WAL MART - excellent price $61.00 w/ 7% sales tax and free installation (SEP 07). The warranty is 3yr free and 108 month pro-rata

CCA: 875 amps @ 0 degree F/ CA = 1090 amps @ 32° F; Reserve capacity: 165 mins
Same size as other Bronco batteries..
44 lbs
12 " L
7.50 " W
7.50" H

=-------------==============================

"...Optima is now owned by Johnson Controls (thats when the quality went down) - Then they moved production to the plant in Mexico and that is where they are currently being produced. Construction to my knowledge is still the same but I feel they have cut corners in the quality assurance end of things..." & "...When the Swedes owned optima, they paid us well and quality was foremost of all at all cost. JCI is the company that KILLED optima batteries, we always had 99.99 pure lead until JCI bought optima. The first thing they did was: fired all of the on staff scientists, then fired all of the PHD's, then fired the chemists, then dismantled the chemistry lab, then dismantled the prototype lab, then got rid of the pure lead and replaced it with lead with higher tin content, then JCI brought in their genius engineers and re formulated the lead acid paste, then replaced the AGM paper with lower grade paper, ex cetera, ex cetera. All of this was done within the first 2 years of their ownership! We had to fight like hell to prove that what we had when they purchased us was superior to what they had done.
we finally convinced them to begin returning to some of the successful methods Gates had originally designed, but only after making them think that it was their idea. When the U.S. plant shut down, we were using pure lead, similar to original paper and similar paste formula, however, there were many, many other changes they had made in the manufacturing process that negatively affected the optima but produced higher volumes. In my opinion, the Enersys Odyssey is, by far, the very best battery on the market today. I am aware of some of the mfg practices being used specifically on the optima in mexico, and they are not conducive to quality!"
Source: by Weber at another Forum
============
Red Top: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.
Part Number: 34 (8002-002)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 34; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;
Part Number: 75/25 (8022-091)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 75/25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Dual Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 13/16 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;
Part Number: 34/78 (8004-003)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 34/78; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;

Yellow Top: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators
Part Number: D34 (8012-021)
YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; UNBOXED; Group D34; Cold Crank Amps 750; Crank Amps 870; Reserve Capacity 120; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;
Part Number: D34/78 (8014-045)
YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; UNBOXED; Group D34/78; Cold Crank Amps 750; Crank Amps 870; Res. Capacity 120; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;
http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/

=
GL, and btw, keep your receipt.. Wal Mart will replace it for free within that warranty period with no problemo; even on a Sat or Sunday night

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
why do you want such a big battery, do you leave it parked with the lights on a lot?
Bigger is better when it comes to starting the truck in the winter.

Nemean- do you have a Sams Club near you? They sell an Energizer 900 CCA battery for the mid $70 range and it's a very good battery. It's the same as the Interstate MTP-65 but you're not paying for the brand name.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,265 Posts
The 65 in the above mentioned part numbers is the "BCI Group Size" and that is the factory size in most fords. You can get them with Higher CCA's and such however the physical dimensions will be the same. The 34/78 Optimas (red or yellow) will come with the adapters to make them fit in your factory hold down with your factory hardware. You can put 2 Optimas in sideways however this will require modification of your battery tray.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bronco Battery

I have the Walmart Maxx, paid $75 plus tax. It comes with an excellent warranty. The big thing to me is the cranking amps. I have had it about a year and no problems. And it is a 65N.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
X2 on an 850CCA AMP battery and you're BKO will thank you everyday because it's a truck battery. I got mine at Costco for around $81.00 out the door....my 840CCA battery was 5 years old as was my starter motor which untimately killed it.....PITA...lol lol....

8 years has to be some kind of a record, no?..............:rofl:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
92 Posts
i always buy for the worst case scenerio kids left all the llights on winch is on and you need to kick it over plus its winter on the trail the battery that can handle that is the one going home with me thats why i upgraded to a larger heavy duty 850 cca batt, but i scored a killer deal brand new 180 battery for $80 its good to have fellow bronco guys who work at shucks in the end nothing beats hot spark and fast turns good luck my trucks is at my shop i will stop by today and get the batts info for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ya no Sam's clube here, I'm in Canada. I've got Walmart and Costco though, I'll check both places. The Bronco is not my daily driver so while out for work the next few days I'll look around. I'll only buy an Optima if the price is right. If I can get a big CCA battery for cheap with a decent warranty at one of those places I'll probably pick it up. I'm going to be in the Vancouver area tomorrow too, anyone know of any Costco that has the Optima Yellows in stock and how much they are? Abbotsford/Surrey Costco? I know I've seen em but don't know how much they were. My Costco doesn't always have them and presently does not have any.

Ya 8 years I think is good! I have a desulfinater charger as well as bigger high output charger and a maintainer trickle charger. I've brought this battery back from the dead a few times, looks like this time its down for the count, my Midtronics battery tester shows it is about 30% or original capacitence now. I don't think I could recover it now, maybe bang it around and change the water, but I'm not into screwing around with it anymore.

Update/Edit: I just called Costco in Abbotsford and the guy said they have stopped carrying Optimas because of a way too high return rate. He did say they have a Kirkland 1000CCA battery for my truck for $97. (Prices are a little higher here than US) He said it was a number 6? Odyssey batteries look very good except they are $400 here for a group 65, ouch!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I used to try buying the bigger batteries at the chain stores like Sam's, etc. I bought a battery rated at 1000CCA at a local Fleet farm for my plow truck. It lasted less than a month and was junk. I believe it had a couple cells shorted, but they just said it was bad. Mind you I only plow my driveway and down to my shop. Most of it is in grass so I don't get to rough. I told them I couldn't afford to be left stranded again and to give me my money back. They were excellent about it. Then I bought a similar battery at Sam's and it lasted 3 months. Again the battery tested bad. I only plowed the driveway twice with it. They replaced it without a question. I had the same battery in my restored super cab and it also died after less than a year. Mind you all of my charging systems were and are in good working order. I ended up switching to Interstate and now run them in every one of my vehicles. The one in the super cab is almost 4 years old. It sits all winter after driving to the storage and it starts the truck every time in the spring. The one from my plow truck has been in about 10 different trucks in the last three years. All of the trucks I buy invariably have a cheapo battery that is 2-3 years old and is junk. So I pull the interstate out and away I go. Now that I hear the Optima quality isn't what used to be I'll stop dreaming about getting one. As a matter of fact my boat came with a cranking and a marine battery. Both are from that farm supply store and are 4 years old. Both batteries are crap so here comes 2 more interstates for the boat.
Swamp

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
you can get big CCA batteries that are otherwise bad batteries and low CCA batteries that are otherwise excellent.

When i was looking into batteries i did A LOT of reading and research since $100 was a HUGE investment for me at that time, but i didn't want to buy some $50 battery that would leave me stranded because i left the dome light on for 15 minutes.

I wound up buying the Motorcraft BXT-65-850. It's an 875 CCA battery, 1050 CA, and has a 160 minute reserve capacity. From a full charge you can load it at 25 amps for 2 hours and 40 minutes before dropping below 11.5V. This translates to me being able to leave my headlights on for 8+ hours and still have enough juice to kick the motor over.

Am I going to test it? Not on purpose, but I will confirm that after 6 hours it cranks a little slow but still has enough to get me going.

That's the difference between a $75 875 CCA battery and a $110 875 CCA battery. a CCA is a CCA, but reserve capacity is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
you can get big CCA batteries that are otherwise bad batteries and low CCA batteries that are otherwise excellent.

When i was looking into batteries i did A LOT of reading and research since $100 was a HUGE investment for me at that time, but i didn't want to buy some $50 battery that would leave me stranded because i left the dome light on for 15 minutes.

I wound up buying the Motorcraft BXT-65-850. It's an 875 CCA battery, 1050 CA, and has a 160 minute reserve capacity. From a full charge you can load it at 25 amps for 2 hours and 40 minutes before dropping below 11.5V. This translates to me being able to leave my headlights on for 8+ hours and still have enough juice to kick the motor over.

Am I going to test it? Not on purpose, but I will confirm that after 6 hours it cranks a little slow but still has enough to get me going.

That's the difference between a $75 875 CCA battery and a $110 875 CCA battery. a CCA is a CCA, but reserve capacity is what separates the wheat from the chaff.
Actually you bought an East Penn/Deka manufacturered battery, in Canada they are known as Power Battery as well.

After 30 years in the automotive electrical business, I can say presently there is only one company I would deal with for starting battries, and that is East Penn/Deka. Deep Cycle and Marine, Trojan is top notch too. I have been dealers for them for 9 years, and it has been the best for no BS. Battery companies make used car salesman look like saints, it is pathetic.

When East Penn rates a battery as 760CCA, it will normally test at over 1000 CCA. You actually want lower CCA ratings when in the same group size. This because there are less paltes in the lower CCA, but the plates are thicker. In big trucks a set of 760 batteries would last typically 6 years, 1000's only 4 years.

If you need more CCA, buy a bigger group size. Or in the wnter, turn your headlights on for 30 seconds, and then off for a minute, then start your car. The draining of the power will cause the battery to work, and actually make it warmer, which will icrease its power greatly.

If you want AGM, Deka has the Intimidator in a 34 group size, and also in a group 31 size. Odyssey PC1500 (also sold as a Sears Platinum) is a good battery too, but over priced.

These and the Optimas are Absorbed Glass Matt batteries, which is different than a gel battery. Gel batteries are twice as much money as AGM, and useless for starting applications.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up with the Costco one, cheapest around and the warranty was good. I baseline tested it at 1440 siemens which is actually the best car battery result I have ever seen. :thumbup

The truck sure fires up nice and quick now. It was actually an 850CCA, 1000CA. I think I should look into a 3G alternator upgrade next.

·
Registered
710 Posts
go with something big, then do like me... scratch your head about where to put another big one!!!

I know alot of guys have had alot of good luck with optima's or any of the other gel batteries. Personally I think they aren't worth the extra money, maybe if you spent alot of time upside down or going 90 mph over a motocross track.

I say go with something big and affordable, then mount another one. I've got 900cca in my bronco, now that i've added a winch I'm looking for another battery spot as well as a 3g alternator.

good luck, and if that "optima jim" guy comes around defending his company tell him to make good on our warrantees before he starts using this site for his advertising....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts