Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '79 bronco with a 351m. Anyone got any hints or suggestions on taking all the emissions stuff off the motor. Or even can someone point me in the right direction of where to look. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just finished what you are thinking of doing the biggest change being an edelbrock intake an holley carb. That eliminates your egr and air pump plumbing. I removed my air pump and associated plumbing haven't ran this combination still working on the headers.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
annnnd que the tree huggers. :brownbag

:histerica

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you should sell me your bronco cheep, and as a matter of fact I am going to be in Rapid City tommarrow.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Tree huggers aside...

Unbolt smog pump, plug holes and vroom.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I don't really want to sell it yet... it doesn't run but hopefully tomorrow it will be all up and firin'. I found some information online on another site about which holes to plug and what can be eliminated. I will try to repost those possibly with pics when I get it going... I have one hole left to plug up but I can't get the fitting that was on there off...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All done with the conversion and tomorrow is the big day to fire it back up!!! Turned out a lot easier for a basic change... I undid all the tubing and plugged up all the holes... still need to actually remove the smog motor, but the belt has been taken off of it.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
All done with the conversion and tomorrow is the big day to fire it back up!!! Turned out a lot easier for a basic change... I undid all the tubing and plugged up all the holes... still need to actually remove the smog motor, but the belt has been taken off of it.
What did you use to plug holes?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used vacuum plugs to plug the ports on the carb and then used a stainless plug from napa to plug the port on the top of the manifold. Then I got rid of the carbon canister

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Time now for a new timing set.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah haven't gotten that far.. I am having problems getting fuel up to the carb. My bronco sat for a long time so I went through and replaced an redid somethings and now no fuel. If you put fuel directly in the carb it fires up then runs out of fuel, but I think the fuel lines are plugged because there are least seems to be some pressure out of the fuel pump. I am gonna put some cleaner in the lines then blow em out with some air. Hopefully that is the only issue. I bought a new fuel sending unit from Broncograveyard and it was about half an inch too long so I had to put another bend in it... hopefully the other bend didn't collapse the first one and plug the whole system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shes running now!!!!!! All it needed was the fuel pump to get er goin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah .. my buddy helped me so I am not the best at explaining it but I can try to do something... I was going to try to do a writeup and have someone make sure I didn't say anything stupid or wrong in it before I posted it.. I don't have much for pictures other than the finished product

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
Tree huggers aside...

Unbolt smog pump, plug holes and vroom.
Its not so much tree huggers as its a lost in performance - not a gain like most think.

A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

* Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
* Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
* Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is minor compared to the first two.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Its not so much tree huggers as its a lost in performance - not a gain like most think.

A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

* Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
* Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
* Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is minor compared to the first two.
true in modern cars
but with old '79 tech the emission crap was restrictive

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
true in modern cars
but with old '79 tech the emission crap was restrictive

I don't think you mean restrictive, or maybe you don't have an understanding of how egr works.

Restrictive is exactly what your doing when you block off the egr. So more restrictive in the since of this tread of removing the egr would be a good thing... according to many in this thread. - more restrictive means less egr.

About 5 to 15 percent of the exhaust gas from 1 cylinder is routed back to the intake as EGR. If you restrict that than your taking less exhaust and yes your hurting performance like I mention earlier. However too much EGR is a bad thing to, so you don't want too much flow either.

perhaps further down in the exhaust at the cats its restrictive... but certainly not at the EGR system. EGR is a good thing.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
I highly doubt you are going to see any improvement at all doing what ya did. Now if you changed out the intake and carb and cam then you will see something. My point is there isn't shit on a 78/79 bronco far as smog, maintaining what was on there would have been better.IMO and experience

Don't put a write up on here for removing smog please. I can just see that opening a door for problems down the road for here and us.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know someone could have said something to me about the problems removing it when I posted this instead of when someone asked me how I did it. I plan to change the intake and the carb further down the line, but I have funding issues right now so its on the back burner. I have my reasons for pulling it too

1 - 20 of 40 Posts