Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, leaving a light last night, I heard a big "BANG!" and then a metal tinking sound. giving more gas didn't do anything, so I had my wife hop over to the driver's seat, put it in gear, while I looked underneath the bronco.

lol....the rear driveshaft now spins freely, pinion, spinning on ring. :)

not sure if the pinion sheared or the spiders blew out, but either way its shot. :doh0715:

The front was already shot and needed a rebuild. Soooooo, I happened to find a deal on a couple of axles.

d44 front 3.73's and a trac loc new brakes/hubs/balljoints/u joints...basicall a complete rebuild.

9" rear 3.73's a Detroit! :rockon and another complete rebuild.

best part. both for $1000. :)

my truck is about to go from barely competent off road to a real performer!

I'll post pics of the carnage as soon as I get it all torn apart.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thats a Sweet deal!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
my old 78 did that at a light way back in 1986. It turned out to be the yoke. it was stripped out on the splines. A new $40 yoke fixed it

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,491 Posts
Nice - enjoy the traction! It is an addiction...

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my old 78 did that at a light way back in 1986. It turned out to be the yoke. it was stripped out on the splines. A new $40 yoke fixed it
agreed, I wish it was that. but you can hear metal death noises inside the case! :histerica

I can't wait to get the new setup in!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
yea that sucks. but glad to see your gettin yourself a nice upgrade.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
3.73's? YUCK!

Good find on the axles though!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I lost the yoke splins also. Actully, it happened to my son at night school as the whole school was leaving for the night. It was so embarassing to have to tow my Bronco home with my wife's Ch. Venture. It doesn't even have a hitch. I had to use a bracket about 1/2 way up to the front.:doh0715::shocked

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol! I have a buddy that owns a tow company, he hooked me up, and towed it off to the shop. I'm picking the axles up this weekend, she should be back on the road by next week.

black and blue, this kinda puts a crimp in my plans to get up there to get those panels from you....we'll have to figure something out.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
3.73s are an odd gear choice but if your running stockish tires it should provide a decent little power boost without scarificing gas mileage

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 9" yesterday. Still dont know what broke. Loud bang and then the rear tires locked up, put it in reverse and it unlocks drive 20 ft and bang locked up. Good thing I was only one block from home when it happened and going at a slow speed when the rear locked up. Will tear it apart tomorrow and see what damage there is.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 9" yesterday. Still dont know what broke. Loud bang and then the rear tires locked up, put it in reverse and it unlocks drive 20 ft and bang locked up. Good thing I was only one block from home when it happened and going at a slow speed when the rear locked up. Will tear it apart tomorrow and see what damage there is.
Did you put it in reverse and back home?

Post some pics of the results.

·
machine gun preacher
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know 3.73's with 35's will be aweful, however.....its got to be better than the 3.50's that were in there! :toothless

It was too good of a deal at the right time to pass up. I can always upgrade later, down the road, after my back account comes back!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts