Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Ive been contemplating putting 4.11 or 4.56 on the bko. I also figured while im in there, why not put a locker in both front and rear. Im sure this has been asked before, but the quick lok brand is a clutch type right? b/c 4wheelparts has deal on both sets of gears, lockers, and install kit for $900. Also, am I going to need a new carrier? and if so where do I score me one?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
IIRC the quik-loc is designed to be installed in an open carrier, if you have factory limited slips you will need a new carrier. Regardless, you are going to need a new carrier for the D44 because there is a different carrier required for 3.92 and up gear ratios in that axle. I guess you have a 9" out back, I don't know anything about those carriers. Do a search.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
im pretty sure the 9" will require a new carrier as well

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
1 - Genuine Gear brand gears suck.
2 - Most...not all...4 Wheel parts gear installers use every short cut they can think of to install your gears and get your rig out of their bay as quickly as possible. I saw it 1st hand on an axle they set up this week end. I couldn't believe what they did to save time and then didn't even cover it well.
3 - A Quick Lock is a type of "lunch box" locker like a LockRight or an Aussie Locker that uses drivers and couplers to engauge the axle shafts. It does not use clutches.
4 - If you are currently running stock 3.55:1 gears then yes. You will need a new carrier for your Dana 44 if you plan to run 3.93:1 or lower gearing (numericly higher). *Unless you run a Yukon thick ring gear set. I don't recommend a thick ring gear set on a 44 with low gearing. It makes the pinion really, really small. On a 60 I perfer to run a thick ring gear.
5 - There is no carrier break for a Ford 9" rear end.
6 - Call these guys and see what kind of a deal they can give you. I have had really good luck with Yukon brand gears.
LINK>>>http://www.ring-pinion.com/

You get what you pay for when it comes to gears...like most things. Cheaper is tempting but usually not the correct thing to do when it comes to gears.

Who ever you have install your gears, I'd suggest you meet/interview the tech doing the install. If the shop won't let you talk to him first hand (before and after the install), find a different shop.

When you get your rig back go over every nut and bolt in your drive train...ball joint nuts, drive shaft U joint hardware, tre nuts, everything. You'd be suprised what I've seen 1st hand...and messes I've had to fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts