Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Is $200 a good deal for a complete TG in great shape?

• Yup. Run with it. Solid score. *optional high-five*

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Meh... I've seen better deals. It's not like they're made out of gold yet.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
6,280 Posts
You looking to get rid of the piece which those letters where cut out of?

Also I like it.

·
Eric
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You looking to get rid of the piece which those letters where cut out of?

Also I like it.
Thanks much. After I'm done I guess I could stand to part with it. I don't really think I'll ever need it again. I have the CAD file saved so I could just re-burn another one if I ever needed to. I sized the frames to act as "locators" for the lettering so they would all line up and be perfectly spaced right where I wanted them on the tailgate. When this project is done, if you're still interested, just hit me up and we'll figure something out. :thumbup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice job. I have a new repop tailgate for sale in Tujunga. $100. I do not want to ship it. I just swapped my rusted gate out and it was a satisfying job. Ping me and I will send you a pic.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
1) For how often you find any tailgate to buy, let alone a complete one, you definitely got your money's worth. 2) The aluminum lettering is fine, but I would've duplicated the '87-'91 basic T/G lettering to make it look closer to factory. Otherwise, I'd cut a 'FORD' lettering panel from an otherwise beaten-up F-series T/G and actually welded it in. Because, on the XLT/Bauer trucks, that's what's under the brushed aluminum trim. If you want, I can shoot a pic of Dad's '90 F150 tailgate, as an example, and it would look more or less factory once you're done. Who else could argue with that?

·
Eric
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1) For how often you find any tailgate to buy, let alone a complete one, you definitely got your money's worth. 2) The aluminum lettering is fine, but I would've duplicated the '87-'91 basic T/G lettering to make it look closer to factory. Otherwise, I'd cut a 'FORD' lettering panel from an otherwise beaten-up F-series T/G and actually welded it in. Because, on the XLT/Bauer trucks, that's what's under the brushed aluminum trim. If you want, I can shoot a pic of Dad's '90 F150 tailgate, as an example, and it would look more or less factory once you're done. Who else could argue with that?
That's actually what I was going to do initially. However, after mulling it over a bit I decided I didn't want to cut up factory parts if I didn't have to. I did a lot of "modification" to my Maverick street car when I was younger and am now redoing lots of stuff because my tastes have changed. It's getting really hard to find some of those parts now. Also, others have already done the tailgate splice, but I haven't seen anyone with this particular mod yet. Granted, the lettering is a bit more of a "modern" design/font, but I think it'll go well with all the stuff I'm planning for the near future.

We're getting kicked out of our shop for an extended 4-day weekend. I hope to knock out some of the body work and prep on the TG in that time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I too am shopping for a replacement. Used ones are hard to find and old and warn by age. Does anybody know others that have installed just a smooth metal outside on them ? OR A place that sells tailgates that are new remanufactured shells like that or ones that are complete with new windows and hardware? Mine has rust on the bottom and does not work well. I need it painted for insurance that will cover its worth over stock so bedsides check, but tailgate on it is not easy. How much labor and how hard is the window and mechanical replacement ? I have changed motors and fixed a few issues but not the window guides etc.. I am unsure of what way to go. I am not using the factory spare swing mount with 35's. Building my new bumper with that. I am in South Commiefornia if it matters for location. Thanks for any info. Very nice job on that tailgate and custom can be nice and extra when you did it yourself IMO.

·
Eric
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Would those be able to be 3D printed? Someone with a 3D printer could pop a few of those out in "plastic" and paint them various colors for customers... or friends.
I believe it could be 3D printed. It would have to be altered in CAD to have a Z axis value (thickness), but I don't see why it couldn't be done. That person could also make the lettering whatever kind of font somebody wanted.

I too am shopping for a replacement. Used ones are hard to find and old and warn by age. Does anybody know others that have installed just a smooth metal outside on them ? OR A place that sells tailgates that are new remanufactured shells like that or ones that are complete with new windows and hardware? Mine has rust on the bottom and does not work well. I need it painted for insurance that will cover its worth over stock so bedsides check, but tailgate on it is not easy. How much labor and how hard is the window and mechanical replacement ? I have changed motors and fixed a few issues but not the window guides etc.. I am unsure of what way to go. I am not using the factory spare swing mount with 35's. Building my new bumper with that. I am in South Commiefornia if it matters for location. Thanks for any info. Very nice job on that tailgate and custom can be nice and extra when you did it yourself IMO.
If you take the aluminum trim panel off, the BKO tailgate has a smooth underside to it. You'd just have to fill the mounting holes for the trim panel that are left over. There are also several aftermarket ones available, but I believe you have to install all the window/regulator/latch internals and hardware yourself. There are writeups in the forum on how to do this and I believe there's also a YouTube video out there. Good luck with your project and thanks for the compliment. :thumbup

21 - 30 of 30 Posts