Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is I have an 83 ford bronco. I have a 77 D44 axle. When I put the axle under the truck and hooked up the radius arms to the existing radius arm points the TTB used it moved the axle forward roughly 11 inches thus putting the axle much farther forward. pic below. This was done to move the truck to the place I am working on it at now. Would this be a good idea to finish it up and make it like this or move the radius brackets back under the truck and loose the hella approach angle that I have right now. What is your opinion????

By the way my truck was in a rollover so I am in the work of fixing it back up and I figure what the hell why not do it right before it hits the trail again.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Well, you might have xmember clearance issues.... and your steering may not hook up without moving the steering box forward... but I'd leave it personally. Depends on the type of 'wheeling you do... but more wb is not always bad........and is usually good

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
well, it would be sweet to mave the axle forward, but like keith said you might have some issues. Since you are rebuilding the thing anyways, if it is going to be a trail only rig, i say go for it and cut the front fenders for clearance.

Damn, now I wanna move mine forward.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Personally I wanna see that PT SAS'd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broncobob said:
"the dog"
Yeah I had the dogs and my wife in the truck at the time

plug ugly said:
well, it would be sweet to mave the axle forward, but like keith said you might have some issues. Since you are rebuilding the thing anyways, if it is going to be a trail only rig, i say go for it and cut the front fenders for clearance.

Damn, now I wanna move mine forward.
Fenders are trashed so no worry there. I am taking tube from the firewall to the radiator and making custom mounts for the radiator so fenders are not a prob at all. Do you know of anybody that has ever done this before???

·
huh
7,195 Posts
i think the gearbox would be your major problem.. figure that out and it should work.

just curious.. can you measure the wheelbase.. stock is 105..

·
huh
7,195 Posts
steering gear box.. yeah..

113..... 8"s forward...

im at just about 108 i think another inch forward wouldnt hurt me but more than that probably would..
if you can move that steering gear box forward then you should be ok. driveshaft would be pretty long, you can cut the crossmember where it goes down if its in the way. good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bronkzilla said:
steering gear box.. yeah..

113..... 8"s forward...

im at just about 108 i think another inch forward wouldnt hurt me but more than that probably would..
if you can move that steering gear box forward then you should be ok. driveshaft would be pretty long, you can cut the crossmember where it goes down if its in the way. good luck.
Why would it hurt you????

·
huh
7,195 Posts
because at full lock with some stuffing of a tire the hydraulic assist ram im using would be crushed by the drag link.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bronkzilla said:
because at full lock with some stuffing of a tire the hydraulic assist ram im using would be crushed by the drag link.
I see. I just looked at my truck a min ago and I have the extended pitman arm that you get wtih the 6" lift from Rough Country and it is still on the front side of the axle about an inch??? Good/ Bad???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bronkzilla said:
turn the steering wheel to full lock, left or right.. see if you have any noticeable problems
I would but right now the front end is sitting damn near ont he crossmember cause I have not spring or anything attached upi there. I remember when I was turning the wheel when I had it up if the axle were to get stuffed I beleive the draglink would hit at the ends. Will that really be a prob with coilovers?

·
huh
7,195 Posts
got anymore pics.. maybe from the front.. where the box and pitman arm are in relation to the axle and tie rod..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts