Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shhhh, I'm not here
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I really had a great time rippin into my Bronco's engine to replace all the lifters on the passenger side where the tickin noise was coming from. I got a lifter puller but the lifters I wanted to pull couldn't be removed without the intake manifold coming off, so that is what I did.

I'd say a little water got inside. Yuck.

It was in the high 40's or very low 50's with rain and wind so I had about three sets of clothes on to keep warm, so can't say I was looking too good.

Yes I did clean up and undercoated my battery box before putting the battery back in.:thumbup

Got it all back together and when I fired it up it was much quieter than before but the tick is still there. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before it gets louder. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep running it until it shows itself or dies.:banghead

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had a 78 f150 4wd with a 400 one time it started ticking,so i changed the cam and lifters.And it still kept ticking turns out it was a bent pushrod.It didn't look bent but I rolled it across the table and you could see it wobble.Anyway i swapped that one out for another one and it stopped the ticking.

·
Shhhh, I'm not here
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thought but I rolled all eight across a sheet of glass and they were all fine. I checked all the lifters and no sign of any wear. I am clueless at this point.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would replace the lifters,cam and pushrods. Pushrods can wear down a little and still not be bent.

G

·
is there blockage in one of the pushrods or lifters?

I bet if you run it without valve covers and use oil deflectors on the lifters you should be able to find your tick.

·
Shhhh, I'm not here
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
94_chickentaco said:
is there blockage in one of the pushrods or lifters?

I bet if you run it without valve covers and use oil deflectors on the lifters you should be able to find your tick.
No visable damage or blockage and I was told about running without valve covers but without having done it or having the right deflector there was no way I was attempting that. Especially after someone said to make sure I had a fire extinguisher right there just in case. No way, not something I will attempt.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Were any of the push rods "nippled at the ends" instead of round, I had that problem in my old 78, 351.
I put in the complete kit, comp cam, lifters pushrods and cam. And it went away after that.
Till a valve spring broke. Ended up pulling the heads and replacing all the valve, springs and rockers.
Sold it a month later.

·
"Clever User Title Here"
2,155 Posts
FordFilly said:
No visable damage or blockage and I was told about running without valve covers but without having done it or having the right deflector there was no way I was attempting that. Especially after someone said to make sure I had a fire extinguisher right there just in case. No way, not something I will attempt.
I used to have to adjust the rocker arms on my '65 Mustang (289) almost monthly. I just used cut up cardstock to channel the oil back into the head tray. It's no big deal, and very safe...just make sure you have a buddy there to kill the motor and monitor engine temp...then nothing will catch fire. Work quickly and you can find the ticking very easily.

Are those stud mount rockers? Did you try tightening them?

Been awhile since I been inside a motor, just tossing out ideas. GOOD LUCK!:thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
is that the stock engine? man that thing is clean

·
Shhhh, I'm not here
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is a stock 351M and was rebuilt with about 15,000 to 20,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from had it done but than let it sit for about a year or so before firing it up again, since than it has had this tick.:wacko

I have checked all the things mentioned above and I have had the exhaust checked three times and they all agree there is no leak, in fact I had a new flowmaster put on because that was bad.

I have decided to just run the heck out of it until I can afford another engine that is NOT stock. Next one will be built for power!:chili: :chili:

·
Registered
867 Posts
This may be out there, but have you tried to run thicker oil?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,257 Posts
You rock Filly! :rockon

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i got some stuff in a yellow bottle one time dont remember what it was called to stop lifter ticks, it is purple but the shit worked on mine

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The rocker arms may have enough wear to cause a ticking noise.You can get a set of oil deflectors that clip onto the rocker arms and then you can run the engine with the covers off and use a stethoscope to find the one/s that is/are ticking.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
You can get an extra set of valve covers and cut out just where you need to see... I got like 5 extra pairs of 302 covers so I would do that if I had the problem.

Could a lifter partially collapse????????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts