Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of repairing the rust on my 95 F150 and was wondering some good tips to slow down the rust, I realize that it will never stop especially living in the rust belt.

Things I can think of are sand blast rust once the big spots are opened up.
Rust inhibitor on exposed areas not getting paint?

Any other good tips?
What do you guys use for rust?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
The big question is whether you just have surface rust that ca neasily be sanded off, or has the rust eaten holes thru the sheetmetal? There are several products like Rust Bullit, POR-15 and other paints that you can prep and simply paint over the surface rust and be done with it. These can run about $100/ gallon or more, but not too bad if you only need a quart or small amount. I've been using a rust converter product for years called "OSPHO", and even have a write-up about it in the Tech Articles forum ,comparing it to "Restore" which is another converter product. You simply brush on the OSPHO and let it work for a day or overnight. IT will turn the rust black, and leave a white residue. Once you sand that off, you can primer and paint over that. The Restore wokrs similar, except that you can paint right over it when it dries.

In regards to sandblasting, that process is too harsh for body panels. A softer media such as plastic or walnut shells can be used to remove paint, but it's a bit harder to remove all of the rust without warping or damaging the metal.

IF you have rust holes thru the metal, the only real cure is to cut out the rusted metal, and replace it with a new patch. That can either be welded in or you can use a body adhesive like one from 3M. This can easily be done in areas like the floor or inner fenders, but is much harder on the outside where it can be seen and needs to be blended in with the rest of the body panel. JSM84

Here's a link to the write-up on OSPHO and Restore, and there's more pics in my Supermotors link under "Cleaning and Restoring Frame" and "Axle pics"

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36373&highlight=ospho

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 2 cab corner replacements coming today and should have 2 wheel arches coming sometime this week or next. The rust is bad, it's through so I'm going to have to coat it with some of the stuff justshootme is talking about. Thanks for the links I'll have to check that stuff out.
As for glueing, I saw a guy glued his cab corners and rivet them on and he blended them really well so I was going to try that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree completely with Justshootme84, and will also say that I have used Picklex extensively on a previous Mustang restoration. It works beautifully. They convert the rust back into steel while at the same time preventing more rust.
http://www.picklex20.com/

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my uncle said about going down to the hardware store and getting roofing tar, slathering the backside of the repair panel with it and then pop riveting it into place. Anyone ever used this method?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts