Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AKRON, Ohio — Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. on Wednesday said it plans to shut down a British tire plant and stop bicycle tire production in Poland in an effort to trim up to $40 million of annual costs.

The company is closing its Goodyear Dunlop Tyres UK passenger tire factory in Washington, England, and has started discussions with the workers' union. It will also cease production of bicycle tires and inner tubes at its Debica, Poland, facility.

In all, the plant closures are expected to eliminate about 1,500 positions and generate annual savings of $30 million to $40 million after tax.

Goodyear anticipates a charge of $75 million to $85 million from the actions, with about $40 million of that expense to be logged during the first and second quarters of 2006.
======================================================

Now for my 2 cents.........I applaud Goodyear, i know its not good to have to shut down factories and all these people lose there jobs. But they aren't closing the American plants down like all the other American companies. They are keeping the jobs here. Maybe some other execs need to look at this and do the same

·
Registered
580 Posts
85f150 said:
Now for my 2 cents.........I applaud Goodyear, i know its not good to have to shut down factories and all these people lose there jobs. But they aren't closing the American plants down like all the other American companies. They are keeping the jobs here. Maybe some other execs need to look at this and do the same
:stupid

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I couldn't agree more. It is kinda wierd to hear and American company closing down out-of-country plants and not in-country plants though.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
I've done work at that plant in Akron. Let's put it this way, they are a ver close knit family. One of the only production plants i have been at, where you can walk through the plant with the office boss man, and he knows the majority of the people on the plant floor, if he didn't he'd stop introduce himself, and talk for a minute or two.

It took us about an hour to walk 150 feet. He was a very good motivator.

I would love to get in with them, but like everywhere else, you have to know someone.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Audra said:
Well it probably saves them more money to shut down the European unionized plants vs shutting down their American plants. European unions have historically been stronger in bargaining power than American unions.

must be while everyone else has plants in mehico......another thing i don't get is when all that stel prices jumped and shit, the japs/chinese were buying our steel, melting it down then sending it back here. how in the **** is that cheaper than us just melting it here?

(not to offend anyone)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts