Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
A small one with in arms reach of the drivers seat is the best place to have one,You can double up with a bigger one in the back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've had one mounted in my vehicles since the 80's. Even had to use it once to save my ride from becoming an inferno.

Currently:

I'm not sure of the size. I think it's 2-1/2lb. It's one of the generic hardware store ABC dry chemical-type. I picked the style based on the mounting bracket, which is a loop band that locks into place. The bracket is mounted with two beefy sheetmetal screws right next to the 4xx4 lever.

My car has one on the passenger floor tucked up against the bottom front of the seat.

Back in the early 90's, I had stopped for a quick bite at a local burger shop in my built CJ-5. Got back in to leave and had a bad backfire when cranking the engine. I also noticed a puff of smoke come out the radiator grille, all the way from the driver's seat. Since the engine didn't start and I wasn't going to chance breaking things more, I popped the hood release and took a peek before opening the hood and saw what looked like a skillet on a gas stove - The carb gasket had blown out and spilled fuel over the V8's intake manifold. The entire manifold was on fire with the open-element air cleaner looking like a frying pan over it. I ran around, grabbed the extinguisher off the roll cage and hosed it right through the radiator, then popped the hood up a little and finished off the bottle in a huge cloud of chemical smoke.

Final result was new Q-Jet carb, fuel lines, and vacuum lines ... plus cleaning dry powder off everything. Much better than watching my ride burn up while helplessly cussing at it.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
I need to do this on mine as well, is the 2 1/2lb really enough?? I am open to suggestions on this, maybe best case is for two one near driver and a backup maybe a little harder to get to. I have a cage and can mount to the floor. I also have a tool box instead of a rear seat so It could go in there too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Definitely. EVERY vehicle with any mods needs an extinguisher. When I was a kid, I watched a local tough guy breakdown and cry while his sweet hand-built hot-rod burnt to the ground. Within a minute, smoke from the engine turned into a raging car fire. All his work and effort gone. Its the best ~$100 you could spend. Our Jeep has a rollbar mount, and the Bronco has one on the center console :

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
I am asking if 2 1/2 lbs is enough to really do anything on a vehicle fire, Those little chrome ones they sell I think are too small to put anything out. I agree that you would not really know until it happens but if someone had a rule of thumb of for example, If my 2.5 lb one does not put it out its too big and I should just walk away.
I was going to get two and maybe stick one of them in/on the toolbox, I do agree that is not the best place in it, but on top of it of on the front where you can get to it would be no worse then just behind the seat. I meant on in my original post.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I plan on getting some of these from Rock Solid Fabrication to mount on my cage. They don't have to mount to a cage though, they can mount to any flat surface. They are pretty sweet!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,691 Posts
The Toyota I had before this Bronco had a pinched fuel rail that eventually resulted in the engine catching on fire.
I had this fire ext. installed within days of owning in.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,275 Posts
I have a small one mounted on the floor spot between the drivers seat and door, that way it's easy access on the way out or just to grab it. There's no way I could get to one on the hump from the outside in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
very good idea to have one Steve's suggestion of multiple is great.wouldn't have help't mine sometimes its best to stand back and just let it do its thing

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,150 Posts
9-1/2 lb ABC. It's on the roll bar right behind the driver's seat. I bought the first one after using one of those little cheapies on a car stopped on the freeway. I would have had better success sneezing on it. The car pretty well burnt up till the FD got there with a lot of water.

I have used them several times over the years. Never on my own stuff. Unless it is a tire fire the it has worked pretty well. Tire fires are tough without water. People always seem grateful afterwards, but no one has ever offered to pay for the refill. I feel bad asking the guy with the blackened car for money.

Car fires seem to be a lot less common than they used to be. Here's the story from the last time I found one.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,691 Posts
People always seem grateful afterwards, but no one has ever offered to pay for the refill.
I stopped by a gas station out in the middle of nowhere, off the main highway the other day. Had to take a piss and get some water while making a 400 mile round trip to drop off some dogs I'd been watching.
Years ago I had helped a guy put out his burning pickup at the same station. I casually mentioned it to the old lady at the counter.
She was pissed off about it. Apparently, it's happened multiple times at that same spot and apparently nobody has ever offered to reimburse or anything.

Pretty shitty when you get right down to it. I can understand some poor broke bastards having a bad day here and there... but nobody, over many, many years?!? What's the matter with people?

·
Registered
309 Posts
2-1/2 lb might not seem like much, but the point is to put out a fire before it turns into a full blaze. If the entire engine bay and front tires are up in flames I doubt anything smaller than a 500gal fire truck is going to put it out.

I was surprised when I used mine. I expected it to be weak since it was just a small bottle, but the damned thing covered everything under the hood in a thick coating of white powder. Of that I am still thankful.

Never hide or stash an extinguisher in a hard-to-get-to place. That's just asking for Murphy's Law to hit. Best places are where you can reach it with minimal effort. Open door - grab bottle. In the case of the open-top guys, often it is more reach to the cage-grab bottle.

If you want more than one that's actually great. Better covering your ass than not have anything at all. Multiple bottles route ... I'd have at least one up front where driver or passenger can reach it quick and easy, one in the middle or behind the seats in a net, and one in back.

If you are really worried about not having enough time to grab the bottle, you can always opt to install a Halon system, so you can flick a switch and douse everything in the vehicle and under the hood, or it can go off automatically if it senses a fire. Halon is bad for you, though, so don't breathe it.

And now the big one.

I have had training with extinguishers. It was mandatory training at work. We used CO2, dry chem, and Halon. We were required to pass a yearly training session with them. Everyone who gets an extinguisher needs to try one at least once, in a controlled area, even without an actual fire (though with a small controlled fire is best). It makes a world of difference on knowing when to use one on a fire, and how to use one, and what to expect.

I think a few fire departments have civilian training events, kinda like cpr classes. Or at least they used to a while ago.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
I think I also like the several smaller one approach, There is several good points on this topic in the thread. For my application I think I am going with three 2 1/2 ones. One in rear, one by the driver, and one by passenger. It will be easy as I can just come off my roll cage or the floor for the mounts.

Do you guys have any links to good articles explaining the difference between the extinguishers themselves?

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
I used to have a 30 lb. one strapped to the floor in the back when I first got the bronco. That one was free and put in place after 2 friends trucks caught on fire. Had that for a few years and then after we used it and shot it apart I scrapped the pieces. Now I have a 2 lb. one mounted to the cage nearby. And a cheaper one in the center console. I still want to mount another good, larger one to the cage in the back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As well *having* the fire extinguisher, be sure to do a wee bit of training with those that will be riding with you. At the very least those that commonly travel with you.

Where the extinguishers are.
How to remove the extinguisher from the mount.
Some sort of training on how to use them.

Sounds a little 'obvious', but I do recall a picture from a fire scene where Himself had mounted a fire extinguisher in the kitchen for his better half. On the appointed day of need, Herself dashed into the kitchen for the extinguisher and came back outside after some little bit... with the fire extinguisher still attached to the cabinet door. Door in sorry state.

Funny as all get out until you think of how much time she lost doing that, and in a different scenario, could have been more than she had.

On renumeration for Good Deeds. I'd do some inquiry on liability protections offered by your local "Good Samaritan" laws. The following is pretty typical, "For example, te following is the Hawaii Good Samaritan Act

"Any person who in good faith renders emergency care, without renumeration or expectation of renumeration, at the scene of an accident or emergency to the victim of the accident or emergency shall not be liable for any civil damages resulting from the persons acts or omission, except for such damages as may result from the persons gross negligence or wanton acts or omissions." (source, http://definitions.uslegal.com/g/good-samaritans/)

Depending on where you are, accepting a gift or that refill may lift protections provided by your local Good Samaritan laws.

The question that follows that bit is usually, "Would someone sue you for saving them / their property?"

Maybe not in a perfect world, but.

Nick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts