Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:im just curious if its been tried, cause mine has a rust hole. and ive tried fast weld with no success. but besides spenden 150 bucks for a new one has a ruxt liner been tried, like on a motorcycle tank been tried

·
Registered
710 Posts
you would spend quite a bit on the sealant like you're talking about, not to mention all the time to clean it and dry it before putting that stuff in there, then it might not work at all and definitely wouldn't last as long as a new tank...

Try the junk yard if you're short on cash, might not be as good as a new one, but surely they would sell you one cheaper than $150

Look at jegs they've got alot of plastic fuel cells for race cars, they might have some cheaper.

sounds like you need to just bite the bullet and buy one though.

I've never fixed one and had it work worth a crap, I did weld one once, but I filled it with water (all the way up). The danger with welding on a gas tank is even a dry one will start to boil out fumes that build up inside the tank then... bang.... no more goober. I only welded the one that I did because it was an all original 63 olds and there was no way to put another tank in it and keep it original...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ibought the more expensive one but www.rockauto.com has them as cheap as $82 plus shipping. Just look up a discount code and you can get 5% off the price too.

If you're gonna take the time to go to the jy and lay in the dirt for a used one that might cost you $50, and you don't even know if it leaks or not, then do yourself a favor and just order a new one.

just my .02

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i've sealed a gas tank i made with some red-kote. i think it used to be call. it's northern liner or something now. it's gunna cost you as much as a new china tank. but if you really want to try it i have an extra can in the garage. $85 lol

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I used this gas tank sealer kit to seal a leaking hydraulic tank on a forklift about ten years ago. I used the same kit to seal the tank on my 81 Honda CB400 about 8 years ago. The bike has 150 miles on it. So it really doesnt do much other then sit (the forklift on the other hand gets used 5 days a week / 8 hrs a day). Both are still holding up fine.

http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration/products/12/

·
Registered
81 Posts
most motorcycle tank treatments are expensive i used kreem on an old endro yamaha i thinkt it was about 50 bux or more for a small bike tank.. that was 10 years ago too..

·
Registered
157 Posts
I recently sealed my tank with the POR 15 sealer. it ended up costing me about $100. The whole process took three or four days because of all the cleaning, drying, etching, drying, sealing, and more drying and curing. I thought about replacing, but it wasn't really needed. I didn't have any holes. The tank was new a few years ago then it sat for like 4 years and developed some rust on the inside. The stuff works great and I know a lot of guys that do it to new tanks just to protect them. Kinda spendy though.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx abunch for all the great info guys. Decided to get a new tank afterall, and I aint buin no china chit!:beer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts