Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well new to me :D. I got my hands on a 1979 Yamaha Daytona Special (RD400F). It has 6,600 miles with the original tires, and paint with no dents. Unfortunately has some cancer, but it is all light, and easly taken care of. Spent a weekend cleaning it, rebuilt the carbs, and now I am riding it. :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ain't that a 4-stroke actually? At least my '80 SX400 is a 4-stroke, here's what it looks like after I chopped a bit of the rear fender and the frame, kinda similar to this '79 but more choppery in style:

That's my Townie car in the background by the way, now a chop-top awaiting for the summer time, just like the bike.

·
Explorer driving
4,192 Posts
Ain't that a 4-stroke actually? At least my '80 SX400 is a 4-stroke, here's what it looks like after I chopped a bit of the rear fender and the frame, kinda similar to this '79 but more choppery in style:

That's my Townie car in the background by the way, now a chop-top awaiting for the summer time, just like the bike.
Can we see more pics of the Town Car? I've never seen a TC with a scoop and bull bar...:scratchhe

·
Registered
712 Posts
Can we see more pics of the Town Car? I've never seen a TC with a scoop and bull bar...:scratchhe
Sure, tis gonna be a bit of thread hi-jack, but here's the scoop (Boss429 reproduction, stud mounts) and the bull bar (made by me):

Also has a spare wheel to match:

Inside it gots SXT bucket seats, and this T-bird part on the floor:

And now the roof is gone, hence why I call it a shop-top:

Car is a total blast to drive, was my DD for three years but got retired last summer and turned into a summer-only cruiser, currently parked for the winter and also due for some engine electronics replacement. Also to receive a rollbar by Big Sky down in Inkster some time in the next few months. Honestly, can't wait till summer :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
i've never ridden a 2-stroke street bike before. don't see a lot of those anymore. do those things have a crazy powerband or are they pretty smooth up through the throttle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i've never ridden a 2-stroke street bike before. don't see a lot of those anymore. do those things have a crazy powerband or are they pretty smooth up through the throttle?
The power band is noticeble, and once I learned where it was, you just roll into it. It will pull the front tire in 5th gear with little effort.

So far it has been a kick to ride around, and saving me a ton of money in fuel :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The power band is noticeble, and once I learned where it was, you just roll into it. It will pull the front tire in 5th gear with little effort.

So far it has been a kick to ride around, and saving me a ton of money in fuel :D
Nice find.....

A former neighbor used to have a RD 350 (don't recall the year) but it was a screamer. When he bought it the engine was seized, front disk brake was weak and the chain/sprockets were worn. We installed new liners, pistons, power valves, rebuilt the carbs, new sprockets/chain, fixed the front brake and for grins threw in a Barnett clutch. On occasion we'd take it to the strip and run mid 13s @ 80+. We figured the carbs needed rejetting since we thought it should run a faster ET. He went to Korea and stored the bike at his Dad's farm. Wonder if it's still there?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts